taking a hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajarob

Reaction score
Maybe this is a stupid question.
I did a full boil of a Sweet Stout and after my boil I lost more than a gallon of wort. I took a reading before I topped off to 5 gallons and it read 1.24 instead of 1.045 as it should have. Is it because it was concentrated? I don't want to disturb it to take another reading and normally don't care but brewing beers is starting to move it's way up my list of priorities. Next thing you know I'll be trying all grain brewing. Can't believe I think about that.
Rob

If it's an all-extract batch, the clearest way to get the OG is by using math. The extract and water were not fully mixed, which threw off the reading. What was the recipe?

And yes, keep thinking about all-grain!

I think frazier's on the right trail. Assuming you added a good portion of extract right before you took your reading, it wasn't mixed up properly. Otherwise you'd have to add a heck of a lot of water to get it down to 1.045.

Back