Taking a hydrometer reading.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrossCreekBrewing

Reaction score
So i am about to start brewing some Kilkenney Red Ale (this is my second brew) and i was curious what is the norm for hydrometer reading methods. I have heard that some people will take a sample after adding the yeast and after taking the initial hydrometer reading they put this sample in a bottle with some paper towels stuffing up the top to allow excess CO2 to escape. They then use this sample to take future hydrometer readings(this method assumes that the fermentation reactions in the bottle will occur at the same rate as in the fermentor). what do you guys do? do u follow the procedure above or do u take a sample from the fermentor every time u want to take a reading?

-I'd like to apologize in advance if i am missing a previous thread about this or just haven't done enough research myself, kinda new at this.

I would think there would be too many variables with your small sample versus your primary. Although I could be completely wrong as I am a beer noob.

Satellite fermenting is inaccurate at best. One cup of wort is going to ferment very differently than 5 gallons.

The norm for me is take a reading going in to primary, then another at 4 weeks when I'm ready to move it out of the primary.

Satellite fermenting is inaccurate at best. One cup of wort is going to ferment very differently than 5 gallons.

The norm for me is take a reading going in to primary, then another at 4 weeks when I'm ready to move it out of the primary.

+1 on this

in addition try to draw off a small sample from your fermenter that way you do not risk infecting your brew!

a wine thief is a great tool to use for drawing samples

here is are a few links to items that will make taking samples easier

Austin Homebrew Supply

Austin Homebrew Supply

hope this helps

-Jason

Back