Take a look at this Wit beer plan por favor...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuelshopMcgee

Reaction score
Hey guys I brewed this recipe a few days ago and have it fermenting downstairs at a constant 62F. This recipe I got from my friend has some crazy fermentation plans and I was wondering what benefit this would have? I'm going to be racking to secondary overtop of some sanitized grapefruit peel and a little bit of coriander for some extra kick. I hit 80% efficiency when I did this brew w/ a modified BIAB/Stovetop partial mash method.

Just wanted to see what others thought about the temp swings

Ingredients:

* 2 lbs. pale malt
* 2 lbs. malted wheat
* 1 lb. flaked wheat
* 1 lb. flaked oats
* 2 lbs. unhopped wheat dry malt extract (DME)
* 1.0 oz East Kent Goldings leaf hops
* 0.5 oz Saaz hops
* 1/2 oz. lightly crushed coriander seed
* 1 tsp. Paradise seed
* 1/2 oz. dried Curacao orange peel, shredded
* 1 cup unhopped light dry malt extract to prime
* 1.75 oz deez nutz (I think I used a little bit to much of deez nutz)

Step by Step: (THESE are not the exact steps I followed for the mash)
Heat 9 quarts water to 163° F. Crush whole grains and add, with flaked grains as well, to liquor. Hold mash at 152° F for 90 minutes. Runoff and sparge with 12 quarts water at 170° F. Add DME, stir well, bring to a boil. Add East Kent Goldings hops, boil 45 minutes. Add Saaz hops, boil 15 minutes. Remove from heat, remove hops if possible. Add coriander and orange peel, steep 30 minutes.

Pour into fermenter along with enough pre-boiled and chilled water to make up 5.25 gallons. Cool to 70° F, pitch yeast. Ferment at 65° F for two weeks, rack to secondary and condition cooler (45° F) for three to four weeks. Prime with DME, bottle and age three to four weeks at 45° to 50° F. Serve at 40° F in a heavy glass tumbler with a side of deez nutz.

On a side note if anyone is curious What I did for the mash was follow deathbrewers stovetop partial mash method but I did it using heated water in a big cooler with a super sheer curtain that I picked up just for this that was big enough to line the entire thing. I then heated my water up in the turkey fryer kettle to 170 to sparge. I mashed for 60 min and let the grains drain into the mash tun. Then sparged for 20 minutes then I set my grain bag over a BIG colander and poured some hot water *not boiling* over the grains until I hit my 6.5 gallon mark. After the boil I cooled down to about 65 set the fermenter in a large tub of water that was consistently 62F and pitched my yeast *I used Belgian 3944 w/ a 2 liter starter*. Its got a big nasty thick krausen that looks like its caused by the flaked oats/wheats I imagine this is normal?

Looks OK. 62 F is the low end of what is recommended for the yeast but should work fine. I'm not sure a cold conditioning is really required for a Wit (can't hurt tho). Would probably just cold crash for 2-3 days in the primary then rack to your secondary.

Probably need to up the temperature after bottling also. At 50 F it would probably take more than 3-4 weeks for the bottles to carbonate.

also when you cold crash I thought that dropped a lot of the yeast out of suspension how does that affect bottle carbonation? I dont want to drop them all out and then have trouble getting carb'd

Made my first wit last month. it was awesome. not my recipe- can't remember where i got it- but modified it a bit after researching a few other wit recipes. Used decoction method- 122, 150,157. Spices were added at 15 minutes (1/4 oz. orange & 3/4 tsp coriander), 3 minutes (1/2 oz. orange & 1/2 tsp coriander) and the remaining spices at flameout. 7 days at 67 and 6 days at 60. bottled . had to make another batch this week. they went real fast.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 9.6 %
4.75 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 45.8 %
2.88 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 27.7 %
1.00 lb Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 9.6 %
0.50 lb Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
0.25 lb Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00%] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
0.50 to 0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc