take a look at my water addition and see if this works... i'm so lost.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
Hopefully this makes sense to some of you. I am completely lost and really want to understand this better...

Wateradditionsheetmosheridealale.jpg

The way I see it, the additions are primarily to adjust the mash pH, and add sufficient Ca, and secondarily to achieve a suitable balance for Cl to SO4.
You added CaCl2 and CaSO4, both of which will lower the pH, but you also added NaHCO3 and CaCO3, both of which will raise the pH. The MgSO4 and NaCl have very little effect on pH.
You need to add Ca. To do this, you should use CaCl2 or CaSO4 if your mash pH is high (which will be most of the time), or by adding CaCO3 if your mash pH is too low (which is fairly unusual). Judging by the SO4 level in your desired profile, it looks like you are brewing a pale beer, in which case the addition of CaCl2 and CaSO4 may not be adequate to adjust the pH. In that case, you could add some acid (like lactic acid) to adjust the pH, or use a small amount of acidulated malt (which is much easier as you are not so likely to overdo it).
The choice of CaCl2 or CaSO4 depends on your requires Cl and SO4 levels. If you feel the need to increase the SO4 level without changing the pH, you could use some MgSO4. This will only reduce the pH very slightly, but you want to be careful not to increase the Mg too high.
If you feel the need to increase the Cl level without changing the pH, then a small amount of NaCl could be used, but don't bump the Na too high.

-a.

You are right it is for a pale ale. Thanks for the info. I may just add 5.2 again, because I'm still not sure what I'm doing with the water and don't have time to figure it out before tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

Back