Taddy Porter Pot Roast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got this goin today. I'll let you know if it sucks or not tonight.

1 3 pound chuck roast
1 pound of baby carrots
1 pound of bite-sized potatos
1 huge red onion
2 teaspoons Better Than Bullion mixed in 1 cup of water
10 ounces of Samuel Smith Taddy Porter
Grapeseed Oil
Salt, papper, garlic powder, and any dried herbs you like

I poured enough oil in my enameled cast iron dutch oven to cover the bottom and brought it to shimmering but not smoking. As it heated, I sliced the onion into think rings and then caramelized them. As they cooked, I coated the pot roast with an even mixture of salt and pepper. Then I added a thin layer of garlic powder and gentle rubbed it in.

Once the onions were nice are dark, I evacuated them from the pan, added the roast, and seared it on all sides.

Once I had a nice sear, I took the meat out and deglazed the pan with the water and better than bouillon mix. Then I added the meat back in along with the onions, potatoes, carrots, and, of course, the porter. I then added a mix of herbs, gave it all a stir around the meat, and pet it to rest in a 250 degree oven where it will reside until I get good and hungry in 6 hours or so.

Wish me luck.

Took a little taste. It is pretty darn good. That said, tomorrow is my birthday and pot roast is always better the second day anyway, so I'm saving it for tomorrow night.

Sounds tasty. Taddy Porter is great stuff to cook with! I've used it in marinades, stews & stir-fries many times.
Regards, GF.

That looks tasty. My dad cooked a pot roast for us last week and the only thing he did differently was he used one package of Onion Soup mix. It was the best pot roast ever.

Here is how it looked. This is now my go-to pot roast recipe.

12108122_10153068796081331_4621519319161791289_n.jpg

Back