Tacoma (Ft. Lewis) visit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
I'll be headed to Lewis in a couple of weeks. Anyone want to share some brews with me? As always, the forst round's on me...:mug:

I've been there a couple of times before. My wife and I visited her relatives in Yakima and a cousin in Bremerton a time or two.

I've been to Jimi's gravesite in Renton...and played guitar with the hippie wannabees at the needle... :rockin:

I'll be staying in Tacoma this time.

Hey I just stumbled across your post. I live in Lakewood and would be up for grabbing a beer and talking about homebrew. There are a couple great places around we could go. Let me know when you're going to be here and we'll figure something out.

~Brandon

I'm about a mile away from Explosive. You can hit me up when you come by. I should be brewing a couple of batches this month. maybe you could come by on a brew day.

I'm about a mile away from Explosive. You can hit me up when you come by. I should be brewing a couple of batches this month. maybe you could come by on a brew day.
We get in on Sunday afternoon. That's about the only "day" I have free. I'll be working all day every day. Thanks for the invite though.

I'll have to take one night and spend it with my wife's cousin and her family in Bremerton, but other than that I'm free.

EDIT: Well, Andre, that was a surprise phone call. Very quick. You obviously don't work for customer service do you? Too fast...Good to hear from you nonetheless.

Missed the thread. If you by any chance can leave family for a few hours we might have something. I'm just up the road in Silverdale, and we have Silver City Brewery in town.

OK, I located Silverdale on the map...I've been through it on the way to the 305 to catch the ferry across to the big town...

I'll have to try to work the logistics out. There are three possible scenarios.

1. I won't be the guy with the rental car. Although the two guys with me are drinkers also so maybe they'll want to go on a field trip. If so, it's doable.

2. (Right now) I'm assuming my wife's cousin will have to pick me up and drop me off. If that's the case then maybe I can talk them into dinner at the pub. If that works then you're on.

3. They'll give me the car for the night and I can do BOTH on my own...:rockin:

Drop me a PM when you have something concrete. I'd like to meet up with at least one HBT member from somewhere east of the might MISS!. Totally missed Dude, when he came out.

If we are going to get together, don't forget that I own a 15 passenger van.
I think McKBrew needs that with the size of his family...;)

I had some correspondence with McKBrew. Checked the map and thought you guys were way up north...the OTHER Lakewood...I can see you're SE of Tacoma...MUCH closer.

The Shilo Inn is off S 72d St, actually 7414 S Hosmer St, (253) 475-4020‎.

Well, I’ve been home a week since my recent trip to Tacoma, WA, and I must apologize for not getting back sooner. I’ve been busy at work and preparing for another road trip. A short one this time, to Picatinny, NJ.

I met up with explosivebeer at his house by the lake (nice view) where we drank and talked about HB. Brandon had about 8+ kegs on his patio to enjoy from. I enjoyed every brew he had to offer. Silvervan83 was going to try to make it over but his girlfriend and other little ladies at home had other plans for him.

Fortunately, he called me the next day and I went over to his house for some VERY NICE German-style Hefe Weizen. I’ve been drinking German Hefe Weizens since 1975 and his was the best HBd HW I’ve EVER had (excluding my own of course, but we all have different degrees of perfection…). This is a beer anyone would enjoy if it were for sale.

After a few we went over to the Ale House Pub and Brewery with its 64 brews on tap. We were greeted by Matt, a great beer-tender. As I reviewed the beer menu I crossing off 43 brews I’ve had previously.

I sampled an:

Irish Death
Big Al
Trumor Pils
Engine #9
Deschutes Black Hat Porter
Manny’s Pale Ale
and an E9 Barley Wine.

I ended the evening with a Wyder’s Pear Cider before leaving for the hotel.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get the opportunity to meet up with McKBrew since he was further up north. Sorry about that.

All in all I had a great time guys. Thanks and Prosit!! :mug:

If you're ever in my neck of the corn field give me a shout out.

I was stationed there, '72-'74. Lived in Tillicum. Yea, yea, I know, I'm an old guy.
We used to drink an awful lot of Ranier Ale back then. Carling Black Lable, and a local Tacoma beer called Heidleburg was also real popular. It was like 2 bucks a case of barrel shaped bottles.
Blitz was pretty common also, that was before they got all fancy and started calling their swill Henry Weinhards.
There was a really nice brewery called Olympia just a few miles down I-5 in a little town called Tumwater.
You could take the free tour and they would let you get plowed on all sorts of good beers that were not available to the general public at the end of the tour.
First time I ever tasted a bock beer was there.
AP

Good to know you had a good time. Thanks for the compliment on the wheat. Next time your in town we'll have to do it again.

Hey Bill, it was great having you over. Sorry I couldn't make it out again but you don't even want to know what malady I suffered that night and the next morning. ;) Anyway, take care and get in touch if you're ever back here again.

Will do guys. Thanks for the good time...and brew!!! :mug:

Brandon: Any ideas on cloning that Abyss? I really like the hop flavor. I'm planning on brewing tomorrow (making batch of Root Beer with two of my greatgrands later today...maybe). Any ideas on something as flavorful as that one?

Andre: How about a copy of that HW recipe?

APendejo: I was in the Army in '72 also...so who's old? I'm 21 with 33 years experience.;)

Will do guys. Thanks for the good time...and brew!!! :mug:

Brandon: Any ideas on cloning that Abyss? I really like the hop flavor. I'm planning on brewing tomorrow (making batch of Root Beer with two of my greatgrands later today...maybe). Any ideas on something as flavorful as that one?

I'm running out the door and haven't seen any clones but I'm sure they're out there. If you go to Deschutes' website they tell you how they make it. It's an interesting process. Make it big and dark, with assertive bitterness and complex roasty/chocolatey flavor. Let me know if you take a stab at it.

Here's a pic of silvervan83 and his rig I took when we were drinking his Hefe Weizen...maybe this should be under the how many HBT members you've met in person thread??? :mug:

P3260631-01.jpg

Back