TA4 snr

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brews2

Reaction score
Wired a TA4 for on/off. PID functions are all Off. oUd is set to cool. Therefore, if PV is higher than SV, out1 light is on. Using a SS relay input of 2.5 to 30. Output 120 vac. However, the input reading on the relay using a meter is 1. No reading on the output side of the relay.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thank you.

Wired a TA4 for on/off. PID functions are all Off. oUd is set to cool. Therefore, if PV is higher than SV, out1 light is on. Using a SS relay input of 2.5 to 30. Output 120 vac. However, the input reading on the relay using a meter is 1. No reading on the output side of the relay.

Thank you.
Do you have a load on the ssr? They dont really work unless you do...

of course there is a load on the ssr. for testing purposes the load is a light bulb. therefore, the output reading is that the bulb is not lit.

The way you are explaining what is happening is not exactly clear, and the question regarding load is fair enough since you didn't say you had or not. Is the light on the SSR lit when the input to the SSR is on?

When the unit calls for cooling, out1 is lit.

I meant the LED on the SSR. Most models have an indicator LED on the front to indicate when the SSR should be providing power. What make/model SSR are you using? Have you used this one for anything before?
We are kind of in the dark here so for us to be able to help us you need to provide as much info as possible :)

SSR is a Monsanto. Did a bench test and it works. I must have one of those that does not fit the 'most' category. No light. If it works, no light is necessary. Nothing more than a switch.

What other info do you need? I've listed how it is wired and programmed.

Do you have a datasheet or any info on the SSR, did a google search and nothing comes up for Monsanto. Where did you buy it? What do you mean by bench test, how and what did you test it with. Have you confirmed it is the correct: Voltage, current rating, ac/dc?
Trying to help you but it needs to be a two way conversation, obviously there is some piece of info missing otherwise you would no longer have a problem.

SSR is a Monsanto. Did a bench test and it works. I must have one of those that does not fit the 'most' category. No light. If it works, no light is necessary. Nothing more than a switch.

What other info do you need? I've listed how it is wired and programmed.

Its NOT just a simple switch... its actually a more complicated switch since its not mechanical. and unlike a mechanical switch voltage type such as AC/DC and range really matters.

model msr 100b. 2.5-30 vdc. bench test -->

A SSR is an on/off switch no matter how complicated some people try to make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
model msr 100b. 2.5-30 vdc. bench test -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzrsE4tTJP8

Obvously you are not one for polite conversation...

check fridge doesn't have a start delay on compressor to prevent short cycling
SSR could be dead
re-bench test to confirm not dead
check fridge not dead

Also where did you get the SSR as there is hardly any info on it on the internet?

model msr 100b. 2.5-30 vdc. bench test -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzrsE4tTJP8

Great glad to see you know everything already and need no help:mug:

On a serious note like social skills this seems to be complicated enough to give you issues and those issues are likely steming from the your attitude which is causing you to overlook something...

Yes it works like an on off switch (but its a relay and thats different). A space shuttle and a prop plane are both flying vehicles.... Big difference between a prop plane and a space shuttle and how they work...

Unlike a regular "switch" a relay uses a separate coil or in this case optical switch which controls an electronic switch. You cant use a dc ssr with ac power or vice versa and the fact that you just ignore all these facts and try to dumb everything down because you believe it works like a mechanical switch is just going to give you bad results. if you just would have posted the facts about you components you likely would have already found your problem but you make it hard on yourself .. Why?

You said
Did a bench test and it works
But also
of course there is a load on the ssr. for testing purposes the load is a light bulb. therefore, the output reading is that the bulb is not lit.

Have you tested what the voltage output of the PID is (all you have told us is it is 1 - which I have to assume you mean on)

I originally came to this forum for help with a temperature controller. Gave all the info I thought was necessary. To say the least the conversations have been confrontational and testy.

I thought all the hardware was discussed and had hoped to move onto the programming of the controller. Petty definitions and manufacturing makers seemed to be of greater interest than problem solving. To the point of name calling and put downs. Blowing out my candle to make your candles burn brighter. Both of which have no place anywhere much less on this forum. And both are reprehensible.

Unfortunately, it seems to have kept other contributors from offering their views.

To say the least, I am discouraged from joining in any conversations on this forum if this is an example. Hopefully, it is not.

Good day.

I originally came to this forum for help with a temperature controller. Gave all the info I thought was necessary. To say the least the conversations have been confrontational and testy.

I thought all the hardware was discussed and had hoped to move onto the programming of the controller. Petty definitions and manufacturing makers seemed to be of greater interest than problem solving. To the point of name calling and put downs. Blowing out my candle to make your candles burn brighter. Both of which have no place anywhere much less on this forum. And both are reprehensible.

Unfortunately, it seems to have kept other contributors from offering their views.

To say the least, I am discouraged from joining in any conversations on this forum if this is an example. Hopefully, it is not.

Good day.
You sir have been the confrontational close minded one... The reasons your having issues could very well be that you have the wrong type of srr for all we know yet you wont even give us the specs of your components to determine the problem? You just state it wont work... We explain why its important to have this info and you reply with condescending remarks that its just a simple switch and we are trying to make it more complicated than it really is.... IF THAT WERE TRUE YOU WOULDN'T BE HAVING AN ISSUE , WOULD YOU! Its likely something your missing because you keep assuming its a simple switch and can be wired like one which is completely false. we ask for info and your the one who being uncooperative and wont share this info. you tell us its a "Monsanto" brand ssr but google show absolutely no evidence of this brand in existence? So even that info is useless for us to do the homework for you.

WOW... all I can say here.. is this some kind of prank?

Have you noticed that multiple people have picked up on YOUR lack of cooperation? What info did you give us?? you have not shown us which ssr your using or how its even wired? I could take a random guess here and say the ssr your using requires a different trigger voltage to operate or that its an SSR thats designed for DC voltage or a voltage range outside of what your using...
But since you havent shared us any information about what type or rating of the ssr it is we are all just taking a stab in the dark!

Thank you.
After reading this again I just want to clarify since you mention input being 2.5 to 30 and output being 120v ac...

The 2.5 to 30v DC is for the switching side of the ssr ran from the pid.
The other side has an input for the hot load and switched hot output which only works under load. If thats the way you have it wired than that is all the help I can offer without more knowledge of the ssr beside the fact that there is a setting in the ta4 to change the output control from relay (020)or SSR/scr and you want that set to 000 for ssr/scr control. some SSRs wont switch reliably with the 20ma 24v dc voltage the ta4 provides... (I have one that wont and the specs state that)

...that is all the help I can offer without more knowledge of the ssr beside the fact that there is a setting in the ta4 to change the output control from relay (020)or SSR/scr and you want that set to 000 for ssr/scr control...

But he has told us that the input to the SSR is 1 (but hasn't told us what that actually means).

OP we do want to help you but you really need to communicate better.

Latest posts

Back