t specific gravity reading from secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc0811

Reaction score
Today makes the 12th day in secondary fermenter and I took a gravity reading in hopes to bottle in 2 days as long as it has not changed. My reading looked to be 1.016 the same as the day before and day of transferring it into my secondary. The beer looked good and smelled good, I even drank my sample that I used for the reading and it tasted great lol wish I had more to sample. Since the reading has not changed since transferring into secondary I really cant see it changing in the next two days but I'll still wait to bottle even though it is killing me. So by the time I bottle it will be a total of 20 days, 6 in primary and 14 secondary. I plan on letting it bottle condition for 2 weeks then try one and if need be another week, a total of 5-6 weeks depending on the outcome. I have pictures of my specific gravity reading I took today and will post them later to make sure I was reading it properly, but I have things to do today and cant till later.

It's great how you pay attention to the details. What number brew is this for you? What is your starting gravity. Yeah I couldn't wait either. What helps is having my brews in s cycle. As one is ready to bottle , I have one in a fermentor, and bottles in the fridge to enjoy as I wait[emoji39]

I dont know my original gravity i forgot to take it. Since it hasn't changed since i transferred to secondary could i just bottle today rather than waiting another two days where it most likely wont change as it hasent in the past 12 days, its an IPA by the way

Today makes the 12th day in secondary fermenter and I took a gravity reading in hopes to bottle in 2 days as long as it has not changed. My reading looked to be 1.016 the same as the day before and day of transferring it into my secondary. The beer looked good and smelled good, I even drank my sample that I used for the reading and it tasted great lol wish I had more to sample. Since the reading has not changed since transferring into secondary I really cant see it changing in the next two days but I'll still wait to bottle even though it is killing me. So by the time I bottle it will be a total of 20 days, 6 in primary and 14 secondary. I plan on letting it bottle condition for 2 weeks then try one and if need be another week, a total of 5-6 weeks depending on the outcome. I have pictures of my specific gravity reading I took today and will post them later to make sure I was reading it properly, but I have things to do today and cant till later.

20 days worth of fermenting for an IPA is pretty safe.

Lots of people will tell you that transferring to secondary is not necessary. I am one of those people. It doesn't actually do anything for clarity or taste, in my experience.

Yeah i have heard that alot about not needing to transfer to secondary and think from this point forward i will not, just one less step.

Yeah i have heard that alot about not needing to transfer to secondary and think from this point forward i will not, just one less step.

Yeah, I gave that up after a few batches too. Didn't really see the benefit at the end of the day.

As to your question - sounds good to bottle to me!

Back