T-58 versus Wyeast Neobritannia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrVertebrae

Reaction score
I posted this in the yeast and fermentation column but am getting no info. I am getting ready to brew an extract Barley Wine from Norther Brewers. The yeast they shipped with it was the Neobritannia, but it has already puffed up and has been activated.

I won't be ready to brew this for a few days and I have some Safebrew T-58 on hand and thought I would go ahead and use that, possibly, and not bother returning or getting the Neobritannia replaced. Thus, I am looking to see if anyone has experience with these yeasts and if the T-58 would work for the Barley Wine.

I guess I could brew up a small starter of the Neobritannia. I'm sure I could get growth out of it.

Anyway, need the info.

Just make a starter with the Neobritannia. You would have had to do so anyway with a "big beer" such as a barley wine and this will also prove that your yeast is still viable. THEN, if all else fails, use the T-58. Although I am not sure how that would play out in a Barley Wine.

I replied to your other post that T-58 is not the yeast you want to use for a Barley Wine. It is low attenuating and will be better for a low gravity beer.

NeoBritannia, is better, with attenuation posted in the 72 to 77% range. Make a starter and use it.

To help dry out the Barley Wine, use about 10% sugar.

I guess I'll have to re-order the neo-britannia. I did a starter and nothing. Zip on growth after nearly three days. I have some Nottinghams. How would that do? And will-do with the sugar. By 10%, how much would that be in a 5gal batch. What about t-05 from Safeale? I am ready to start this brew.

I guess I'll have to re-order the neo-britannia. I did a starter and nothing. Zip on growth after nearly three days. I have some Nottinghams. How would that do? And will-do with the sugar. By 10%, how much would that be in a 5gal batch. What about t-05 from Safeale? I am ready to start this brew.

Both Notty and S-05 (aka 1056 and 001) would probably be better than the NB yeast as both attenuate better. With a big beer you are going to have lots of sugars left no matter what you use.

10% will depend on what your planned OG is. If you plan for 1.090, 10% would be roughly 1 lb of table sugar or 1.25 lbs of corn sugar in 5 gallons.

Thanks for the info Calder. I will be brewing this one this weekend. The Neo-Brit tried to get going finally but it is barely forming krauzen and doesn't look right. I ain't using it. I got some WLP-090, a San Diego Super yeast from the local home brew store. I did a starter last night and it is already going strong and looking good. I made the starter from DME and threw in some yeast nutrient and energizer.

I got this one going yesterday morning. It uses 9lbs of Otter Barley extract, Cascade and Centennial hops. I pitched it at about noon yesterday with a half gallon of starter with the San Diego Super Yeast WLP-090. I got back to the house about 9ish and it was in full swing. Amazing and smelled incredible. I have the temp holding at about 66F and am hoping to keep it there for the majority of the fermentation period. I also added about a pound of sugar to help with the dryness as suggested here and the half gallon of starter had originally had a 1/2 lb of DME. It should be a fairly rich brew I think.

This sucker is still going strong. Looks like its boiling. The smell of the room its in is incredible. I have it stabilized at 66F and it hasn't slowed a beat. The idea of using a starter is to me, a good one. The last batch I did with a starter finished in about 36 hours. Its one of the best I've made so far with practically none of the off flavors and smells which usually take weeks to disappear during conditioning. I think the speed of beginning fermentation helps to reduce those and the yeasties are just plain healthier. I've had good success with dried yeasts but using the starter is better I think.

Coming up on 72 hours and its still going strong with no visible let up in CO2 production. The temp is holding at a very steady 66F.

It'll be 96 hours at noon today. The fermentation is going strong still; very active with a thick foamy top. I guess 9 lbs of Maris Otter can go a long way.

Back