T-58 Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spbrhs07

Reaction score
I'm working on a Belgian Dark Strong using T-58. OG was 1.080 and trying to get it down to at least 1.020. I'm keeping it around 60-65F. It has been just over 3 weeks now and it's only at 1.030. I think it's been there for about 2 weeks. I'm thinking about adding more yeast...

Any thoughts?

Here's a few obligatory questions:
How did you measure the gravity? Check that the hydrometer is calibrated. If its a refractometer make sure to convert the reading for the presence of alcohol.

How does it taste? If it tastes good then bottle it.

What was the grain bill and mash temp? A lot of unfermentables may explain the high gravity and that may be as low as one might expect it to go. A high mash temp can also cause a high final gravity -> how accurate is your mash thermometer?

Here's a few obligatory questions:
How did you measure the gravity? Check that the hydrometer is calibrated. If its a refractometer make sure to convert the reading for the presence of alcohol.

How does it taste? If it tastes good then bottle it.

What was the grain bill and mash temp? A lot of unfermentables may explain the high gravity and that may be as low as one might expect it to go. A high mash temp can also cause a high final gravity -> how accurate is your mash thermometer?

This was actually an extract kit.

8 oz. Aromatic Malt
6.6 lb. Light LME
3.3 lb. Dark LME
1 lb. Dark Brown Soft Candi Sugar

I steeped the grain at about 155-165F for 30 minutes. I am using a hydrometer and it is calibrated to 68F I believe. At this point it tastes a little too sweet.

Seeing as its extract the steeping temp really doesn't matter. Given the ingredients I would expect that yeast to get to a lower gravity. When I said calibrated hydrometer I meant does it read somewhere near 1.000 with tap water at room temp. This is just a simple way to see if your hydrometer is even close to being calibrated. Before you re-yeast there are a few things to try. First try to stir the more of the yeast back into suspension. Give the fermentor some agitation in some way which doesn't introduce a bunch of oxygen into the beer. Second, put the fermentor in a warmer place. When you move the fermentor and warm it up it will begin to show airlock activity, but this does not mean that it has begun fermenting again. This just caused by CO2 coming out of suspension in the beer. Give it 3-5 days and take another reading. If that doesn't work add more T58. Be sure to rehydrate the yeast before adding it to the beer. Follow the directions on the package. And do not aerate the beer before adding the yeast. This will cause more harm than good at this point. My guess is that you should be able to get it down 4-6 more gravity points, but 1.020 seems out of reach.

Back