T-58 and S-33 Wyeast Subs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whyphilosophy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm doing a couple of small one gallon batches this weekend. Recipes I'm following called for two safale yeasts, T-58 and S-33. I'm not quite sure my home brew store carries these though, so I was wondering if anyone had some Wyeast substitution suggestions.

The T-38 is for what is supposed to be a Belgian Ale, around 7.1% abv.

The S-33 is for a stout/porter. Breakfast stout maybe. 6.8% abv.

Thanks!

Those are both typically used in Belgian Ales, so it's a little odd to me that a stout/porter recipe would call for S-33, unless it's specifically a Belgian Stout or something.

Having said that I did a Yeti Imperial Stout clone with Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) and it turned out great. I think next time I'm gonna do an imperial stout of some kind with 3724 (Belgian Saison).

For the T-58, I would go with 1762 if it's a dark strong ale and 1388 for a golden strong ale... but honestly I've had pretty good results with all of the Belgian yeasts from Wyeast.

Also, using a whole smack pack in a 1 gallon batch is probably overpitching, so you might even want to consider splitting one between the two batches (if you're doing them where you can pitch at the same time).

My LHBS carries both of those dry yeasts though, so you might as well ask. Any particular reason you think they don't carry them?

In spite of the fact that the manufacturer claims S-33 is a Belgian yeast, neither I nor many other people can detect anything of the typical Belgian yeast character to it. AAMOF, there is grounded speculation that it's Edme yeast.

There really isn't a direct Wyeast equivalent of T-58. What type of Belgian ale are you making?

In spite of the fact that the manufacturer claims S-33 is a Belgian yeast, neither I nor many other people can detect anything of the typical Belgian yeast character to it. AAMOF, there is grounded speculation that it's Edme yeast.

There really isn't a direct Wyeast equivalent of T-58. What type of Belgian ale are you making?

Agreed.

I just did the same experiment but with a Red Ale. From the smell of things you can tell the T-58 is indeed spicy (I knew this going into it) and the S-33 is fruity, reminiscent of any good English strain.

I'm not sure why they said the S-33 is a Belgian strain?

I double checked my local store and they do in fact carry both of these.

Do you guys think I should swap out the S-33 on the stout though? It's a coffee and donuts stout. I've only brewed IPAs up until this point so I'm in new territories with these two batches.

I know this thread is old, but I would have tried Danstar Nottingham in the Stout. How did your beers turn out?

Back