Syracuse Area Brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agemmell

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey! I am relatively new to brewing, but is there any Syracuse area brewers? If so what kind of brewing do you do, and what has been your favorite recipe you have done?

For me it is a Chocolate Ginger Porter. Brewed with Pale 2 Row, Chocolate, Black Patent, and Caramel 20L Malt. It is also has Lactose, Cocoa Nibs, Vanilla Bean, and Ginger Root in the Boil and the Secondary Fermenter.

And I do All Grain Brewing, I have never done extract or partial mash, or BIAB for that matter, but have thought about experimenting with it!

Cheers!!

A buddy and I started brewing about 8 months ago. We have done an extract porter (came with the kit we bought), Maple Pumpkin Ale, Mocha Stout, Honey Ale, Have a cider in primary at the moment and are looking for our next beer at the moment.

We have been going partial mash for all but the Porter, but have talked about going all-grain. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Of the ones we have made so far I would have to say the maple pumpkin is the favorite.

Actually, there is a large group of us here on HBT. we do bulk grain buys and we have a Facebook page that we keep in contact with each other. If you are interested, PM me

Brew on!

I am from the Syracuse area, and have started brewing a few months ago. I completed my first batch, an IPA(came with kit). It was ok. I considered this to be the "Betty Crocker" version of beer making. I just made a Red Ale that is currently in the primary, and I have a batch of hard cider in secondary. The cider should be ready for sweetening and bottling soon. Just figured I would introduce myself to the fellow Syracuse folks, and possibly learn and stay in contact with local homebrew folk.

dummybrewman said:
I just made a Red Ale that is currently in the primary, and I have a batch of hard cider in secondary. The cider should be ready for sweetening and bottling soon.

Sounds like we have similar thoughts. Just brewed a Sequestering Red on 3/1 as well as moved the cider to its secondary.

Ha, I guess so. How long do you plan to keep your cider in secondary? I learned also that you can back sweeten cider which makes me much happier as my cider was dry. I am letting it sit longer so the tannins and alcohol will mellow.

Started the batch on the 25th of Jan and racked to secondary on 3/1. Planning on bottoming in 2 weeks as I have a red that will be ready to bottle then too. If it still seem to harsh ill cap it and wait another few weeks prior to bottling.

I am in Fayetteville. I brewed a Black IPA a few weeks ago and a Dogfish Head 60min clone last Friday. Patiently waiting for the Black IPA to bottle carbonate.

The worst part forms is the bottle conditioning! Also I am interested to hear how your 60 minute clone goes. I am in the process of building myself a conical fermenter to try my hand at an IIPA.

Just a heads up, there's a beer tasting at the Galeville Bryne Dairy in Liverpool today from 4-7. They usually have them every other friday. Tonight they have Captain Lawrence and Ballast Point.

agemmell said:
The worst part forms is the bottle conditioning! Also I am interested to hear how your 60 minute clone goes. I am in the process of building myself a conical fermenter to try my hand at an IIPA.

Just racked my dogfish head clone to the secondary. Looked good, tasted like an ESB. I added the dry hops into the secondary and this should bring the flavor/aroma inline with how actual 60min tastes. I'll post back when it is ready. If it is even close it will be a big win for me as I love 60min.

I'm in Cicero-North Syracuse. Currently a full time student at Syracuse University (CPA Accounting). Just got into home brewing recently with a friend of mine. Brewed our first batch of American Cream Ale. Should be ready in a little over a month. Would definitely be interested in meeting up and swapping ideas with other brewers. Feel like I could learn a lot more by going to conventions or gatherings, as opposed to just using the internet.

If anyone knows of events coming up, PM me or shoot me an email.

[email protected]

Good morning everyone. New to the home brew myself as my wife figured I needed a hobby. About a hour north of Syracuse myself and Bottled an American cream ale yesterday myself and brewed a batch of begian dubbel last night. Started with a starter kit myself and brewed the porter, a German Blond, and a Irish Stour so far to.

Well, after my red ale hit the secondary it was done fermenting through the eyes of the airlock. I tested with my hydrometer, perfect fg. I've let it sit a week(they recommend 2wks) and the fg is still perfect. Is there a reason to let it sit another week prior to bottling? I can say I'm not terribly satisfied with the color of this beer, as it is not a deep red. I followed everything to a T. Not sure if this is something that will change during the next week or during bottle conditioning, any thoughts?

Big news for Syracuse. I spoke to a distributor manager for CNY Byrne Dairy and he said they will be getting 4 cases of KBS for Syracuse.

He said to expect KBS to hit the shelves early April.

Big news for Syracuse. I spoke to a distributor manager for CNY Byrne Dairy and he said they will be getting 4 cases of KBS for Syracuse.

He said to expect KBS to hit the shelves early April.

That's good news. Any idea where I might find Allagash White in Syracuse?

I was in the Party Source store yesterday on Erie Blvd. and spoke with the owner. It's the only craft beer store in Syracuse that I know of, and he said it was impossible for him to get Allagash.

I've never seen Allagash in New York. I'm pretty sure they don't distribute to this state. Which is pretty weird. My sister can get it in North Carolina, but we can't get it from a Maine Brewery.

Well, after my red ale hit the secondary it was done fermenting through the eyes of the airlock. I tested with my hydrometer, perfect fg. I've let it sit a week(they recommend 2wks) and the fg is still perfect. Is there a reason to let it sit another week prior to bottling? I can say I'm not terribly satisfied with the color of this beer, as it is not a deep red. I followed everything to a T. Not sure if this is something that will change during the next week or during bottle conditioning, any thoughts?

What is the recipe that you followed?

Using 2.5g water begin heating to 150-165 degrees, Steep grains(8oz caramel 120L, 1oz chocolate) for 20 mins. Remove bag, but allow to drip(not squeeze) before discarding.
Bring wort to a gentle rolling boil, add 6.6lbs light LME to boiling, let it get back to gentle rolling boil and continue boil through the addition of the hops. Sprinkle in hops starting with 1oz of UK Goldings. Boil for 55 minutes, then add 1oz of UK Fuggle hops. boil for 5 mins, terminate boil. Cool wort and transfer into fermenter. Add the rest of the 2.5g of water. Check OG, pitch yeast between 64 and 72 degrees.

I've never seen Allagash in New York. I'm pretty sure they don't distribute to this state. Which is pretty weird. My sister can get it in North Carolina, but we can't get it from a Maine Brewery.

It's definitely served in NYC, so it's not the whole state. But hopefully it'll show up in time. Good beer.

I had no idea that the Ithaca brewery serves pizza now. I'll definitely be going there soon.

The empire production brewery is starting to get a little heat from the town of cazenovia residents now though. I don't believe it is 100% a done deal. It's my home town and I have been talking to people I know I the boards there. I really do hope they get it but I wouldn't be too excited yet

Well, things have been quiet on here locally I see. I will take the liberty to give a quick update on my brewing as of late. I finished the Irish Red and the beer is perfectly carbonated and quite good. The cider is also finished. It is still a bit drier than I personally would like, however not bad coming from plain apple juice. I also made apple jack out of a small portion to try. This is great stuff. I will have to invest in a liquor hydrometer to be able to tell the abv, though I know it can be potent. Ha. I have my next brew day planned for tomorrow. I will be making an English Bitter, still a partial grain mash. I will be swapping some of the Goldings hops for Fuggle hops to give it more of a hop taste. I'll try to keep an update going on this brew. Next plans, getting into full grain mash brews.

Just spent a day at Cortland Brewery, Ithaca Brewery and stopped at the new Hopshire Farm and Brewery on the way back. If you haven't made the trip, the cortland Ithaca area is beer central. Hopshire makes some great brews.

Hello to home brewers. I have a Home Brew Supply store in Johnstown. FB page AJ's Brewery Supplies. I am looking to do a bulk grain buy and looking for anyone that wants in on the buy. If you use grains and would like to get them at good price please let us know. When we get enough the order will go in. Any other supplies you may need let us know if we can help.

We just went to Hopshire last weekend. Great brewery.

I think total we filled 2 regular and 6 half growlers between our group.

I'm not a huge fan of fruit beers, but their cherry ale is a fantastic summer brew.

Yet another 'Cuse brewer. Just racked a blueberry wheat to the keg. I hope it's carb'd for 'Merica day tomorrow!

Working on making the move back up to the Syracuse area. Spent some time checking out a few places in the area and took a day trip down to Ithaca Brewery stopping to check out a couple other places including Hopshire. Beautiful area, looking forward to spending some time exploring some more. Started brewing my own and moved all my equipment to my buddy's house in Cicero so if anyone is local let me know. Have 3 kits fermenting now. A Furious IPA clone, a Gumballhead clone and a belgian saison split into a ginger and tart cherry. Planning on putting a mashtun together when I make it back up in a week and trying my hand in all grain. I'm also working on putting together a business in the area and have my eye on an old gas station on main st right off of bear. Aiming towards a craft beer cafe type of thing with a convenience store and fill up type of theme. Always looking to meet new people that share the same passion so message me!

Working on making the move back up to the Syracuse area. Spent some time checking out a few places in the area and took a day trip down to Ithaca Brewery stopping to check out a couple other places including Hopshire. Beautiful area, looking forward to spending some time exploring some more. Started brewing my own and moved all my equipment to my buddy's house in Cicero so if anyone is local let me know. Have 3 kits fermenting now. A Furious IPA clone, a Gumballhead clone and a belgian saison split into a ginger and tart cherry. Planning on putting a mashtun together when I make it back up in a week and trying my hand in all grain. I'm also working on putting together a business in the area and have my eye on an old gas station on main st right off of bear. Aiming towards a craft beer cafe type of thing with a convenience store and fill up type of theme. Always looking to meet new people that share the same passion so message me!

I live up in Clay. You talking about the old Mobile across from Harbor Freight?

Fellow brewer here in Brewerton. I have been doing extract kits and have 7 or 8 batches under my belt. I am slowly acquiring equipment to start AG batches. I picked up a keg (traded a coworker a case of homebrew for it lol) and cut the top out myself. My 10gal igloo mash tun is complete, just need a HLT and a few burners to cook on outside.

I've also been playing around with 1gal mead batches. I have 5 jugs going, but they won't be really good for quite a few more months. I am thinking of trying a cider next with one of my empty carboys.

Hope everyone's summer has been eventful. We will be placing a bulk order within the next week. Anyone looking for supplies, bulk grains, or equipment let us know. This will save you shipping cost and keep your grains or supplies at good price. PM me or call us. You can also visit our website at ajsbrewerysupplies.com . Supplies will arrive first week in September. So go thru your needs and let us know...even if its small item we can serve your needs.

Hello All,

I am in Camillus, New York and looking for a good crowd to get together and brew with.

I have been brewing for a few years, mostly in the winter months and accrued several recipes under my belt, all of them with in the same base recipe. I mostly brew Wheat beers, but, am itching to venture out into an IPA soon. I am strictly an all-grain brewer and have not had a chance to do the extract brewing. Maybe one day.

Looking to make new friends and educate myself and others.

My website is below. Look forward to making new brewing buddies.

Just found this thread, I live just south of syracuse. When I find free time (which isn't too frequent with 2 young children) I've been brewing extract but I'd like to get into all grain at some point as well as kegging. If anyone else lives down this way feel free to PM me.

Back