Syphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yonkerj3

Reaction score
Can I get some thoughts on the use of an auto-syphon? I have watched videos on auto-syphon use and it looks a lot easier than the tom-foolery that I just went through. Obviously I am a new brewer and decided against an auto-syphon when picking my kit up.

As of now I think that I will be picking one up before my next brew, but I am open to any makeshift syphon ideas.

Any ghetto-syphon ideas?

h-J

It is worth it to just get one. You can also use them backwards to aerate your wort before pitching yeast.

Get one. They are worth their weight in GOLD.

Use:
1. Attach 3/8 in hose to the end of the L on the racking cane.
2. Hold it so the bottom is about 5-8 inches submerged in whatever you are siphoning.
3. Pump the cane and watch the liquid come out the hose.

To stop siphon:
Lift the end out of the liquid.

If you are taking a sample sterilize it first.

I just stick a 6" piece of tubing the next size up and suck to get it started...then remove the "mouthpiece" before flow makes it to the end.

Can I get some thoughts on the use of an auto-syphon? I have watched videos on auto-syphon use and it looks a lot easier...
h-J

If you can justify the expense, buy it. If you use it in an open bucket there is no restriction on size. If you plan on using it in a carboy, measure the opening in the carboy to see if it is large enough to accept it. I have a 6 gallon carboy, purchased on the Internet, with a slightly smaller opening. Best of luck to you, keep brewing.

JW

Back