Syphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

yonkerj3

Reaction score
Can I get some thoughts on the use of an auto-syphon? I have watched videos on auto-syphon use and it looks a lot easier than the tom-foolery that I just went through. Obviously I am a new brewer and decided against an auto-syphon when picking my kit up.

As of now I think that I will be picking one up before my next brew, but I am open to any makeshift syphon ideas.

Any ghetto-syphon ideas?

h-J

krackin

Reaction score
It is worth it to just get one. You can also use them backwards to aerate your wort before pitching yeast.

TyTanium

Reaction score
Yes, get one, but get the kind spelled with an "i"

SurfJunkie

Reaction score
Get one. They are worth their weight in GOLD.

Use:
1. Attach 3/8 in hose to the end of the L on the racking cane.
2. Hold it so the bottom is about 5-8 inches submerged in whatever you are siphoning.
3. Pump the cane and watch the liquid come out the hose.

To stop siphon:
Lift the end out of the liquid.

If you are taking a sample sterilize it first.

KegWrangler

Reaction score
I just stick a 6" piece of tubing the next size up and suck to get it started...then remove the "mouthpiece" before flow makes it to the end.

JohnRoss

Reaction score
Can I get some thoughts on the use of an auto-syphon? I have watched videos on auto-syphon use and it looks a lot easier...
h-J
If you can justify the expense, buy it. If you use it in an open bucket there is no restriction on size. If you plan on using it in a carboy, measure the opening in the carboy to see if it is large enough to accept it. I have a 6 gallon carboy, purchased on the Internet, with a slightly smaller opening. Best of luck to you, keep brewing.

JW

Latest posts