Syphoning the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsoto75

Reaction score
After you boil the wart, and let it cool, is it ok to use the auto syphon to transfer it to the fermentor, from the kettle? Or am I supposed to dump everything into the fermentor, including all the green goo at the bottom. (i'm guessing the remains of the hops)

This is my first attempt at making beer, and not sure if I was supposed to leave all the residue in when transferring to the fermentor, or was syphoning ok?

Thanks

Dave

Welcome to HBT Dave!

Either way is good. Some like to siphon and leave the gunk behind. Personally I just dump it in and let it settle to the bottom while it's fermenting.

wart is a growth on your skin, Wort is unfermented beer. I just dump it, it will all settle out as your yeast begins to fall

Welcome to the forum! I personally like to leave all that "green goo" in the boiling kettle. There are a bunch of us on here who have modded our kettle so that there is an output valve at the bottom. Then you can screw in a dip tube or some sort of stainless steel mesh to filter the wort.

Seriously, it doesn't matter either way. Dumping it is good because it is less work, and it gets a little oxygen into the wort.

Syphon away into the fermenter..pour the hops in as well. Like said before, it will sink to the bottom. You can't ever get enough Hops so leave it in. ha

Awesome, thanks guys, I was kinda worried, I messed up by syphoning the wort and leaving the other stuff behind. When i got the setup from the brew shop, I remember the guy telling me about using the auto syphon when transfering to the carboy for secondary fermentation to get a cleaner beer. Juess thats why i thought I should do it for the first one as well, but when I was searching online to see what kinda activity i can see in the airlocks, (which is how I found this site ;) the videos I saw showed a lotta stuff on the bottom of those carboys. Thats when I thought I messed up. Taking my reading though with the hydrometer I it looked like i was doing fine. The label for the beer (Bee's Knees Honey Wheat) had an origional gravity of 1.043, which is what I got as well. I guess well see how it turns out.

Thanks again. cool site...think I'll stay a while :tank:

Make no mistake Dave, you will get a lot of stuff on the bottom whether you siphon or not. :D Leave the beer in the primary long enough to ensure that most of it is on the bottom before racking to secondary or bottling.

Yes, stay! We are pretty nice group but I should tell you that some of us aren't "guys". :p

I agree on what Nurmey said. I know it will be murder, but let that beer ride it out in your primary for 3 (or more) weeks, then go right to bottling. No need to use a secondary unless you want to brew another beer, or if you are dry hopping or something like that. Let it ride!:mug:

DOUGH!! LOL quick throw me a beer, so i can swap it with the foot in my mouth!!

I had one other question too...when I bought the beer kit (the stuff the make the Bee's Knee's, not the equipment), they didn't tell me I had to refridgerate the liquid yeast. I had it in my pantry which is about 66 degrees F. I called the guy I bought it from, and he said I should be ok, but if not I could just re-pitch the yeast later on. Is this true? Should I open the lid in about 3 days or so to see what it looks like? I was going to put it in the carboy first so I could see what was going on with it, but then decided to use the bucket instead.

Well, might be OK, might be toast. I take it you did not make a starter for the batch. What does the airlock activity look like? That might tell you quite a bit.

Well, might be OK, might be toast. I take it you did not make a starter for the batch. What does the airlock activity look like? That might tell you quite a bit.

No, I don't know what you mean exactly by a "starter" for the batch. They didn't include that in the book :cross:

There are tiny bubbles in the water that I filled the airlock with. Its not bubbling heavly, but I can see the occasional bubble float up through the stem of the air lock. I finished the brew and loaded it into the furmenting bucket about 4pm today, so not sure how much bubbling I should be seeing.

So what is this "starter" you speak of o wise and powerful brewmaster :fro:

Wait and see, how long has it been fermenting? I have herd some strange and interesting kits to make beer and hear that all of them work so if it's only been 12-24 wait a little longer then you might notice something. In the mean time RDWHAHB! :mug:

Wait and see, how long has it been fermenting? I have herd some strange and interesting kits to make beer and hear that all of them work so if it's only been 12-24 wait a little longer then you might notice something. In the mean time RDWHAHB! :mug:

:off: LOL ok..ok first things first. So far I have been poking around this website after finding the site today (as you can tell from my post count) and finding a lot of good info, and quickly learning things that I didn't pick up in those 2 books I read before trying my first batch today. The only think I can not figure out is.....what does RDWHAHB mean??? I have seen that phrase on like 20 posts on these forums :off:

Ok now back on track...I have had the beer in the primary since about 4pm this afternoon, so about 7 and a half hours.

dave

Oh..and let it sit see what happens, again I've herd of some fancy techniques, and all have i guess been a success. Plus generally most of the yeast action takes place up to 24+ hours. :mug:

Make no mistake Dave, you will get a lot of stuff on the bottom whether you siphon or not. :D Leave the beer in the primary long enough to ensure that most of it is on the bottom before racking to secondary or bottling.

Yes, stay! We are pretty nice group but I should tell you that some of us aren't "guys". :p

Yah babeeeee

ahhh so thats what it means...pretty cool, unfortunatly, all I have is some anchor steam and magic hat in the fridge :ban:

I'll check it again tomorrow and see whats new.

Thanks again all.

Ok, so knowing the condition of the yeast, and seeing no significant activity in the air lock after 24 hours, I went ahead and cracked open the lid from my fermenter bucket (and made a slight crack on the outer rim :mad:). Looking inside it was just like looking at what a glass of ice tea would look like sitting out for a few hours. It was clear and clean...no bubbles or anything. I guess the poor little yeasties and moved on to that big keg in the sky :rockin:

So i went to my LBS, and let the clerk know what had happened. She suggested I re-pitch the yeast, this time suggesting a dry wheat beer yeast from Fermentis (11.5g packet). I went home, opened the lid (more carefully this time) stirred it up real good, and let my daughter give it a few whirls too, then dropped those little guys inside the frosty bubbly foam on top and re-sealed. Hopefully this time we will have magic....I'll keep you posted.

dave

Back