SWMBO's brother

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkapottomous

Reaction score
is the type of guy who would lie about anything.

He'd tell you he went to the movies when he had gone to the mall instead, so when he tells you something (specifically about his job) you just have to nod and act like you're an idiot.

Anyway, he called the other day and asked if I could make him a wine to give to his coworkers for Christmas. The company is based in Holland and a bunch of the guys he works with are from overseas, so he wanted a cool wine/mead that was sweet and fairly high in alcohol content to give out.

Anyway, I'm talking him through our options and I mention that I'd probably need to buy another fermenter because the mead we decided on would take up that space for most of a year.

He was going to pay me for it, and even said that his company would probably write off the cost of the ingredients, supplies, and any hardware that I might have to buy to get the project done but I obviously had to decline because that's illegal.

Long story short, I'm going to build one of those conical fermenters from this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/super-simple-15g-plastic-conical-276378/

WITH MY OWN MONEY THAT I EARNED AND IN NO WAY RECEIVED FROM ANYONE ELSE

So I'm excited that I'm going to get a badass conical, and will be able to do ten gallon batches from now on. Placing the order tonight.

somebody is lying here.....
I just thought I might have to make sure nobody thought someone was going to reimburse me for making alcohol.

I'm just stoked that I got the OK to order the conical tank. Now I gotta start working on a frame.

Is it really illegal to have people buy ingredients that they brew at your house? That doesn't sound right to me. Or is this a state-specific rule I'm not aware of?

I just don't see how some buying the ingredients for you use is an issue. So long as you aren't selling the end result who cares? I've had a few friends buy kits that I've brewed for them. They keep the beer and I get to brew and don't trip over tons of brew. I don't take any money. It's my hobby. So someone bought me a sack of malted barley or 5gal of apple juice.

is the type of guy who would lie about anything.

He'd tell you he went to the movies when he had gone to the mall instead, so when he tells you something (specifically about his job) you just have to nod and act like you're an idiot.

Anyway, he called the other day and asked if I could make him a wine to give to his coworkers for Christmas. The company is based in Holland and a bunch of the guys he works with are from overseas, so he wanted a cool wine/mead that was sweet and fairly high in alcohol content to give out.

Anyway, I'm talking him through our options and I mention that I'd probably need to buy another fermenter because the mead we decided on would take up that space for most of a year.

He was going to pay me for it, and even said that his company would probably write off the cost of the ingredients, supplies, and any hardware that I might have to buy to get the project done but I obviously had to decline because that's illegal.

Long story short, I'm going to build one of those conical fermenters from this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/super-simple-15g-plastic-conical-276378/

WITH MY OWN MONEY THAT I EARNED AND IN NO WAY RECEIVED FROM ANYONE ELSE

So I'm excited that I'm going to get a badass conical, and will be able to do ten gallon batches from now on. Placing the order tonight.

Well you have taken the first step...This forum is the best place to ask advice if you think you are doing something illegal. Enlarging a font and bolding in red should hold up in court.

I've had dealing with people like that.

Family or otherwise I had to stop dealing with them.

So he is a habitual liar, yet you are going ahead and fronting money to build a conical and buy ingredients to brew all this meade for his customers he says he has and will reimburse you for?

Sounds like a good idea, nope. How about you give him a list of ingredients and parts for the conical, have him bring it all over and you help him brew it up? Nothing illegal there. If he leaves the conical at your house for storage, nothing illegal there.

So he is a habitual liar, yet you are going ahead and fronting money to build a conical and buy ingredients to brew all this meade for his customers he says he has and will reimburse you for?

Sounds like a good idea, nope. How about you give him a list of ingredients and parts for the conical, have him bring it all over and you help him brew it up? Nothing illegal there. If he leaves the conical at your house for storage, nothing illegal there.

Well that's the thing. I don't doubt that he would front the money, but telling me his company will write it off if about %110 bull****.

As it is right now, I had the extra seventy bucks for the fermenter, and I wanted it anyway so I went ahead and got it.

Well that's the thing. I don't doubt that he would front the money, but telling me his company will write it off if about %110 bull****.

As it is right now, I had the extra seventy bucks for the fermenter, and I wanted it anyway so I went ahead and got it.

I don't know the type of company your brother works for but I have "heard" you can get away with quite a bit on an expense account as long as management has a heads up. I have heard of many "golf" expenses, "entertainment" expenses and bar tabs that were more than "someones" first car.

But if they will pay, I'm with IrrPulse, get the money up front.

Back