Swmbo thinks this will be better.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMann

Reaction score
Well, over the last few months things have gotten worse. The money issue has gotten worse. I make decent money, and swmbo makes aight money, but things have been going down hill for a while now. We don't own luckily just rent and the landlord really likes us, that's why we get a steal on our house we rent, 4 bedrooms 2500sq ft $625 a month. But we have so many other expenses including two new trucks. But a couple weeks ago she, I guess just got fed up, and decided that we need to stop. And by stop I mean she wants to put everything we own in storage and move in with the inlaws. She gave me an ultimatum that if I didn't make a decision by the end of that week, that she would make the decision without me. And she did. Now we are packing. Not that I don't like the parents, I just hate losing all my freedom, and everything that I have now. It's kinda hard, cause when I met swmbo, I had nothing no house, no job, no money, no credit. Nothing. When I left my ex-wife, I left it all with her and my daughter, I thought it was the right thing to do. And since then I have worked hard so I don't have to ever have nothing again. And she comes right and says mom and dad, can bail us out. But for some reason, I was offended by that. I have tried hard all my life, to not ask anyone for help, to do it all on my own. And she comes along and demands this.....I don't mean to rant, I just hoped someone else out there thinks that I am right, to be offended by this bail out. Or should I just forget about my pride and just suck it up for swmbo.

And by the way, I am kinda druck.....If that matters....

Not a thing wrong with not wanting help. I have had to have my rents help me a few times when I was really hurting over the years. I know it does suck to have to ask for help, but, do you want to be homeless, SWMBOless and truckless, or have your pride hurt a little till you get back on your feet?

You remember when you look back and say "Hey don't worry, things have been worse"? This is one of those times you'd be talking about! I know it's hard to start over, and you may feel like it's giving up, but it's not. Everyone needs help every now and then. I've had great jobs, and I've also had to subsist through a holiday or two while being on welfare and food stamps, but it does get better.

so tl;dr, I think if you're hurting for money, suck it up and you'll get through it.

If your rent is only $625, I'm guessing your truck payments are much higher. If I were you, I'd sell both trucks and buy beaters with cash and stay in the house.

If you move in with your in-laws, when you want a place of your own in a year or two, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a place as big as the one you have right now for $625.

I think I view it like drunkatuw does. Additionally, having 'been there, done that' for a short period of time you absolutely must be on the same page as the in-laws. It gets really weird because who is the man of the house? It's a very humbling thing to be living under the roof of another man, and unless I absolutely had to (in other words no other option) then I wouldn't. F'instance, you like to brew. How does brewing and the entire mess it makes fit into your in-laws lifestyle? I am just offering some ideas that perhaps your SWMBO hasn't thought of...

I agree with most of the previous comments...she sounds like a bright girl...pull back on the reins and slow down...;)...get rid of what you REALLY don't need...especially, scale back on new purchases.

You won't be able to enjoy tomorrow if you're still paying for yesterday.
(I just made that up)...;)

It's always tempting to try to keep up with the Jones', but man, they're flat busted and in debt up to they're ears also...:(

If you and your SWMBO made "decent" money as you say and you only have $625 rent where is your money going? Do you have other discretionary spending you can cut back on? What are your mandatory expenses? [These are rhetorical questions, you dont have to tell us all your financial situation]. Just trying to help you see if you can keep some freedom and still cut back.

+1 on sell the two new trucks

Dude totally ditch the trucks, your rent is F'n cheap and I would think it would be hard to find a place like that again. I drive around an old beater and while I think people think I'm near the poverty line when I drive it around town I actually live really well because of it.

Also look at what your spending your money on, maybe there is stuff that while it may seem like a little expense actually adds up to a lot at the end of the month (like going out for coffee each day or eating out for lunch all the time). You'd be surprised what you can cut out of your expenses and still live a good life.

Yeah, I'm with the whole ditch the car stay in the apartment camp.
Really - 2 new vehicles in this economy? And you're keeping those to move in with mommy and daddy? ugh.

+ "whatever it is up to now" on ditching the trucks for some decent reliable vehicles and keeping your rental house... Unless the trucks are ABSOLUTELY vital to your jobs, you don't REALLY need them... At the least, get rid of one of them...

Good luck
:mug:

Make a budget first and foremost. If you both make decent money unless catastrophic events occur a budget will keep you in line. $625 a month for that house is rediculously cheap here, but at the same time if the utilities would kill you move to something cheaper as a whole. If your budget won't allow for the trucks...dump them and buy beaters like others have said.

Don't get down on the swmbo just yet, you may be taking your own freedom away with the financial choices you have made.

I'm with the sell the trucks group too...

I sold my car (S2000) about 3 weeks ago in order to move down in car. I got a nice used dependable (I hope) car for 5k and would sell it again in a heartbeat because it saved me about 7k.

Neal

I am in with everyone else in getting rid of the trucks. Also, what else are you paying for?? We have the basic $30 a month Directv package which I think I might cancel. There are a ton of things we think we need which we don't. I hate to say it but internet is one of them, you can go to the library for that service. Cutting those two out you can save around $75-100 a month at least. Use the water and electric less. Carpool in the new "used" car.

Your rent is super cheap so I wouldn't bail on it now, just make smart choices. With that being said, I wouldn't make this a very heated topic with SWMBO if she has her heart set on moving. Wouldn't want to loose her over it. Good luck

Are you married to her?

Might save you more money if you ditch the girl and keep the truck.;)

Seriously, if it weren't for my gas guzzler being paid for I would seriosuly be considering a new vehicle, maybe even a motorcycle as one of those vehicles. Just to save on fuel costs.

$625 is cheap. I pay twice that for about the same footage (only mine is a mortgage) and a storage spot large enough to house that much stuff (enough to fill 2K sqft) is gonna run what a 1/4 to 1/2 of what you are paying now.

Worst case maybe you should look at moving in with the in-laws. My buddy did that almost 2 years ago and was able to save enough cash to replace his hoopty, buy a moderately sized house, and stioll afford a good size downpayment on both to reduce the monthly expenditures.

Bottom line is, if you find yourself that deep in debt or living from paycheck to paycheck then you have already lost your freedom.

I feel for ya, it does take some swallowing of pride. Been there. For what it's worth, check out "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey it helped me put things in perspective.

Back