SWMBO - Sniffs The Airlock!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think we've had a break through!!!

I'm fermenting a Bananabrau Hefeweizen for one of SWMBO beer-snob friends. I told her, "The beer's smelling like bananas!" I'm happy to come home to an active ferment...

She's like, "Really?" she then bends over to smell the airlock. :ban: :ban: :ban:

Oh yeah!!! :rockin:

Wish I had a camera!

Have you guys ever got SWMBO to do this?

Schlenkerla said:
I think we've had a break through!!!

I'm fermenting a Bananabrau Hefeweizen for one of SWMBO beer-snob friends. I told her, "The beer's smelling like bananas!" I'm happy to come home to an active ferment...

She's like, "Really?" she then bends over to smell the airlock.

Oh yeah!!!

Wish I had a camera!

Have you guys ever got SWMBO to do this?

Yup, I got mine to bend over and smell the airlock, and while she was bent over.... :D :rockin:

Seriously though, that's sweet that you can get her to take an interest in your obsession. SWMBO has brewed with me a few times and has even ordered a couple of kits in the past and she's going to NHC with me, so getting SWMBO involved certainly has its advantages.

I dont think I could get mine to sniff an airlock again any time soon... After she walked into our closet when my batch of apfelwien was at its "sulforous rhino fart" stage:ban:

deathweed said:
I dont think I could get mine to sniff an airlock again any time soon... After she walked into our closet when my batch of apfelwien was at its "sulforous rhino fart" stage:ban:

Same here but right now I leave my primary in the kitchen area, and my Flagstaff Honey Wheat was major sulforous rhino fart!!!:drunk:

Can fermentation gases leave a bad smell on clothes? I'll be losing my current fermentation closet soon & the only other place that's not out in the open I can think of to replace it is my own clothes closet. Bad idea?

deathweed said:

Same here, but now she actually asks how the beer smells. That made her take interest. :rockin:

#1 someone please tell me what SWMBO stands for...

#2 my female roommate hates the smell of the brew in the house..I have decided to only make IPA's from now on just so the house smells like Hops, I love it she hates it

#3 speaking of hops, any hop airfresheners on the market?

thankyou for the clarification...yes my roommate is very conservative on everything. and she thinks that making beer should be illegal...then again a wild night for her is 1/2 of a wine cooler and a chick flick...
wait till she hears about me next venture...

Arneba28 said:
thankyou for the clarification...yes my roommate is very conservative on everything. and she thinks that making beer should be illegal...then again a wild night for her is 1/2 of a wine cooler and a chick flick...

People like that should be shot. I mean it. They push all our rights out the window. How the hell do you think a lot of stupid laws get mad in the first place.

OK, maybe not really shot, but maybe sent to a small island near the arctic, or North Korea. :)

Arneba28 said:

OK - Let's suggest making something she likes illegal and see how she feels about it all. :D

Schlenkerla said:
OK - Let's suggest making something she likes illegal and see how she feels about it all. :D

Like chick flix. That would be awesome.

At first my wife thought it was silly making my own beer. But after she tasted the first few brews she asks me to brew the ones she likes like the Pale ale I just bottled. And if I have a little left over after I bottle she will even want a taste... only one she made a face at was the ESP I did a few weeks ago. She immediately opened an Irish Red to wash away the taste

My wife hates beer, she doesn't understand it and won't give it any time. She loves malt, the smell of the mash, and the boiling kettle.

My wife doesn't understand my infatuation with brewing my own, especially when I still buy packaged beers too. She does, however, like that it has cause me to branch out into other activities that are related (Composting, Hop Gardening) and uses the multiple trip to Lowes as leverage to get **** done around the house. "While you are there pick up that faucet I was looking at last time...."

SWMBO got me the classes that taught me to brew, but after joining me for the first one, skipped the second.
Then when i made my first few beers and asked for help, i was told this was my hobby, etc.
Then she started making pseudo requests.
and finally she started helping on brew day and bottling day.
She's now the official capper of my beers and has even entertained the idea of buying a kit for me to make.

Back