SWMBO is headed to Omaha, NE...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher79

Reaction score
...next week, and she's willing to bring back some beer in her luggage. Isn't she a sweet wifey? Are there any good local/craft breweries that I should ask her to look for? She won't have much room, so I'm mainly looking for bombers. We are in GA, and the distribution isn't the greatest.

Also, there is a 14% ABV cap on beer in this state, and I was wondering if there was a cap in NE? I've got a couple DFH 120 minute ('08 & '12) and an Avery Mephistopheles in the cellar and I was looking to add to some beers to it. Suggestions for any beers would be greatly appreciated!

Second, Nebraska Brewing also Lucky Bucket Certified Evil (although they dont have big bottles anymore).
I cant say there is a abv cap, because I've never looked for an outrageous abv. I can look around for the high ones if you let me know what you're looking for

I just looked at the Nebraska Brewing Co. website, and the beers sound pretty good...I'll definitely tell her to look for them.

Second, Nebraska Brewing also Lucky Bucket Certified Evil (although they dont have big bottles anymore).
I cant say there is a abv cap, because I've never looked for an outrageous abv. I can look around for the high ones if you let me know what you're looking for

I'm not looking for anything in particular, but I just wanted to see if there was anything to be had. If not, no biggie...I'll cellar just about anything that would benefit from a little aging!

NBC only sells their Inception and Reserve series beers in bottles(They will start canning late this year), and IMO all are worth it. The inception series are 11-12 bucks and are only sold at the brewpub in Papillion(I think they still have Cowboys and Indians, two hibiscus saisons that were barrel aged and turned out pretty funky(Very tasty)), the reserve series are 750ml and can be found in stores for 18-20 bucks and are all pretty solid. I am not sure which ones they currently have out but Apricot Au Pouvre, Hop God and Melange a Trois are my favorites.

I am truly not a fan of Lucky Bucket, and I dont think it would be worth taking up space if you are limited on it. Empyrean is solid but they dont have anything in bottles that is a "Must try".

As far as high ABV....Much of NBCs reserve series are above 8% or so and I think the highest is Fathead(barelywine) at 11%, but there are no craft breweries around that have incredibly high ABV beers.

Lastly, If you can find Cornstalker by Thunderhead Brewing I would pick some up. It comes in cans and is just a dark wheat. Pretty easy drinking beer and pretty tasty in my opinion.

Solid advice. Nebraska Brewing Co has some excellent beers (their EOS Hefe is probably my favorite). I'm a big fan of Empyrean's Vanilla Porter. And skip the Lucky Bucket, I haven't found one of them worth including in a mix-six, let alone packing in luggage to haul home.

NBC only sells their Inception and Reserve series beers in bottles(They will start canning late this year), and IMO all are worth it. The inception series are 11-12 bucks and are only sold at the brewpub in Papillion(I think they still have Cowboys and Indians, two hibiscus saisons that were barrel aged and turned out pretty funky(Very tasty)), the reserve series are 750ml and can be found in stores for 18-20 bucks and are all pretty solid. I am not sure which ones they currently have out but Apricot Au Pouvre, Hop God and Melange a Trois are my favorites.

I am truly not a fan of Lucky Bucket, and I dont think it would be worth taking up space if you are limited on it. Empyrean is solid but they dont have anything in bottles that is a "Must try".

As far as high ABV....Much of NBCs reserve series are above 8% or so and I think the highest is Fathead(barelywine) at 11%, but there are no craft breweries around that have incredibly high ABV beers.

Lastly, If you can find Cornstalker by Thunderhead Brewing I would pick some up. It comes in cans and is just a dark wheat. Pretty easy drinking beer and pretty tasty in my opinion.

+1 to this!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It seems that Nebraska Brewing is the way to go! I've already told the wifey to look out for it when she goes out there, and I'm even going to pack some bubble wrap with her to maximize the number of brews that make it back to me!

Does anyone know if Rahr & Sons outnof Ft. Worth makes it up that way? I'm a big fan of their beers, and would love to get a beer or two from them.

A bottle of Hopaluia is an absolute must. Zipline Belgian Pale Ale is quickly becoming a favorite of mine and they just opened a bottling Line, though I think think they only sell six packs.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It seems that Nebraska Brewing is the way to go! I've already told the wifey to look out for it when she goes out there, and I'm even going to pack some bubble wrap with her to maximize the number of brews that make it back to me!

Does anyone know if Rahr & Sons outnof Ft. Worth makes it up that way? I'm a big fan of their beers, and would love to get a beer or two from them.

Rahr & Sons is not in Nebraska.

Just saw on FB that the new release of Nebraska Brewing Company's Black Betty Imperial Stout and their Apricot au Poivre Saison (both Reserve series beers) are available in the brewpub today.

Just saw on FB that the new release of Nebraska Brewing Company's Black Betty Imperial Stout and their Apricot au Poivre Saison (both Reserve series beers) are available in the brewpub today.

Thats what I like to hear.

Im helping them bottle up both Romancing the Cone and Apricot next weekend. I do love me some free beer.

+1 on the NBC bombers.

Upstream Brewing (Brew Pub) also distributes some barrel aged beers in 750's $18-$20. They have both Templeton Rye and Woodford Reserve barrel aged beers out now. They can be somewhat hard to find at bottle shops, but should be available at either brew pub location.

Awesome, and thanks for all of the leads! She flies out today, and I made sure her luggage was full of extra t-shirts and a towel for padding. So, the bombers are only available at the brewpub? I only ask because she won't have a rental car (She works for Mutual of Omaha, and will be walking from the hotel to work), and will be limited to where the hotel shuttle will bring her. She was told there are a couple of adult beverage stores close to the hotel, so I believe that is where she is headed.

if she's going to the main Mutual of Omaha Building, tell her to stop by Brix or Beertopia, they are both within walking distance of Mutual and have the best beer selections in Omaha

if she's going to the main Mutual of Omaha Building, tell her to stop by Brix or Beertopia, they are both within walking distance of Mutual and have the best beer selections in Omaha

Thanks tmendick...that's exactly where she'll be headed! I'll send her the names as soon as she lands.

Awesome, and thanks for all of the leads! She flies out today, and I made sure her luggage was full of extra t-shirts and a towel for padding. So, the bombers are only available at the brewpub? I only ask because she won't have a rental car (She works for Mutual of Omaha, and will be walking from the hotel to work), and will be limited to where the hotel shuttle will bring her. She was told there are a couple of adult beverage stores close to the hotel, so I believe that is where she is headed.

I work for Mutual of Omaha as well(I work in IT). If you want me to pick up a couple bombers at the brewpub for you and pass them on then Im sure we could work something out. Send me a PM if you want to.

Beertopia is a couple blocks up and has probably the best selection on beer in town.

Edit: There are not any Inception series bombers left at NBC so no worries about that. Beertopia should have their Reserve series bottles(750mL)

So.... any updates? What'd she bring back for you?

That's a sore subject at the house....she was only there 2 nights, and the only night she was able to get out, she got bombed with co-workers, stayed out too late, and forgot to swing by beertopia and bring me back any beer. So, the time I spent to call beertopia and have them set aside some bottles for my wife to pick up was wasted.:mad:

She did, however, not say a thing when I went to the LHBS the next day and had a pretty good shopping trip!

I guess Nebraska's beers will have to wait to another time....

Back