Switching to Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDonde

Reaction score
Hello,

So I have been home brewing with bottles for the past 2 years, mainly since I was in a small apartment. I now have a house and I want to start using kegs instead of bottles. I am sick of cleaning and storing all those damn bottles.

I was curious what is all the equipment I would need to be able to store and chill kegs for a home brewer?

Thanks in advance for all the information. :tank:

Seriously?

How about doing a search on the site for kegs/kegerator/keezer/beer taps... and so on... after you read the thousands of threads relating to your question and you decide what you want to do and pretty much how you're going to get there... then ask specific questions.

Good luck.

oh, and you can look at the bottom of the threads you're reading to get more threads.

EDIT: start with the DIY forum.

Kegerator and a keg. Probably run you around 400. Really there's many ways to go here, and it all depends on your budget.

Although I agree with the previous posts, patience is my recommendation. I made a 2 tap kegerator for <$125. Craigslist is your friend.

Decide how many kegs you want first (and be honest with yourself!). Build from there.. kegerator or keezer... and start your searching for the best price!

Hello,

So I have been home brewing with bottles for the past 2 years, mainly since I was in a small apartment. I now have a house and I want to start using kegs instead of bottles. I am sick of cleaning and storing all those damn bottles.

I was curious what is all the equipment I would need to be able to store and chill kegs for a home brewer?

Thanks in advance for all the information. :tank:

Typical route is a chest freezer with an external temp controller (STC-1000, Ranco, Johnson). You plug the freezer into the external temp controller, put the temp controller temp probe into the freezer, set your desired temp on the temp controller and plug the temp controller into a wall outlet. Pretty much that easy.

When you decide on how many taps/kegs you want, think about room for expansion. I was going to start out with two taps. Then I reconsidered and got three. I thought with three taps, I'd never need to expand. I have since added a fourth tap, and I now wish I went with a keezer over a fridge kegerator, since I have no more room to expand with my current setup. When I get the time/space/money to upgrade, I'm going to put in an 8-tap setup with room for extra kegs for lagering.

you can buy a 7.2 cft freezer for $200 if you look real long, I have 2. stc 1000, $20 , a co2 canister $60, hoses, regulator, picnic tap for it $60 to $150, kegs $60 to$150 each, auto siphon $15,

lots of patients and a great wife $$$

just to get you started, then later you can add a 4 tap system for $200 to $400

Kegerator $200
Kegs $120
CO2 $60

Having beer on tap: Priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would budget $400 easily for a system. There are budget starter systems at various stores, but they often don't include kegs, CO2, or a fridge. Also you will want more than one keg. Probably 3 or 4 if you plan to have two taps.

Back