Switch to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theganda

Reaction score
How many batches of extract did you make before you tried your first AG or partial mash? A rubbermaid cooler has pretty much fallen into my possession and I'm thinking about making an MLT and giving a go but am not sure if I'm ready.

I think I did 3 batches of pre-hopped cans and then 4 batches of extract w/ steeping grains before my first partial mash.

I still PM (and don't see that changing anytime soon - brewing outdoors is really not an option for me from about March to October, and my kitchen stove can't boil more than about 4 gallons), but am steadily increasing the grain to extract ratio I am using. I started out with doing the mash in the kettle, then I used an unconverted 2-gallon rubbermaid cooler, and I just converted a 5-gallon rubbermaid cooler into a mash tun with a stainless steel braid and ball valve.

I did 3, and I probably won't turn back. All three of my extract batches were excellent, but I have a ton more fun doing AG!

I did a bunch of extract batches but really after 2 or 3 you know everything you need to know about extract...

Stepping up to all-grain isn't so tough if you're willing to make 1/2 size batches. Then you can make your MLT and become familiar with it while still using your 22 qt brew pot... then you don't have to buy your propane burners, giant pot, etc. until you are somewhat comfortable with what you're doing.

I've done three 1/2 size all grain batches so far and the last one I did I was not nervous about at all while I was doing it. It's intimidating because of the equipment upgrades but the learning curve itself really isn't much harder than the one of learning extract brewing...

zero. My dad taught me AG from day one. I used his rig for a while until I built my own. I have done extract batches to see what it is all about, but find AG way more cost effective and interesting.

I did a full extract, then partial mash, then AG. If you have the desire to go AG, then you're already ready. Just do your homework, and you'll do just fine.

Back