swing tops and house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srm277

Reaction score
alright, so im drinking one of my brews from my first batch to get rid of them so i can continue drinking my second batch. 2nd was better so i drank half that, but dont wanna drink it all b4 the first is gone. i have only bottled with caps, no swing tops. so my question is are swing tops good to use?

second question and the real reason for this post. i was watching an episode of House and he went to the fridge and opened a swing top bottle from the fridge. So can you buy a store bought beer that comes in swing tops? what is it? and if not then that means House makes his own beer. so right now i believe house is a homebrewer just like us. :ban: my happy dance

LOVE using swingtops to bottle! I use them for our use, but bottle in regular bottles for gifts.

The swingtops I see in the stores are in green glass- Grolsch. They come in 16 ounce, green, swingtop bottles. The beer is skunky (green glass!) but if you bottle your homebrew and protect it from light, they work great. The LHBS also sells the replacement gaskets, but you can reuse them several times.

At our local liquor store, I recently found that they sell Fischer beer. It's a french blonde beer that is actually quite tasty!

The best part is that they come in really thick, 650ml brown swingtops!

I make sure to pick up 4 or 6 whenever I drop by!

I buy quite a few beer at our local store with flip tops (all brown bottles). Unfortunately, I removed all the labels so I can't tell you what brand they are but they are all imports. We have a beer store, Beertopia, that has hundreds of brands from all over the world. To be truthful, I buy the beers with really cute bottles so I can have the bottles. If you have a local beer specialty store you can pick up tall, short, fat, you name it, flip top beer bottles. Warning....this is an expensive (but fun) way to get odd looking flip top bottles. :D

Last year before I started, but knew I wanted to homebrew, I drank 3 cases of Grolsh for the bottles..I figured the bottles alone were about 2 bucks each, so why not get them with beer in them for 2 bucks a piece..They are great to use..You fill with one hand and bottle with the other at the same time.

...and Grolsch is actually rather tasty, in spite of being skunky. It's certainly better than Heinken, and exponentially more useful after being consumed. ;)

Grolsch is fine. Just remember that swingtop "growlers" used at breweries and other places for short term transport of beer CANNOT hold pressure. They are relatively thick, but just not rated the same.

As long as you get the bottles that hold pressure, you're good to go.

I got a great deal on a bunch on Craigslist and the first time I got to bottle with them it went a lot quicker. The ones I have are .5 liter aka 16.9oz so while not that much bigger than a regular bottle being able to fill one while snapping the last one closed w/ the other hand is fast. Get a few 22oz bombers too and you'll knock out bottling in no time.

Back