Swelled can of crushed pineapple. What to expect ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokester

Reaction score
So I have a can of crushed pineapple that also has leaked a little and swelled a little (the top is slightly bulged up. Yea It expired in 2011. Yes 2011. 11+ yrs ago.
So fine I'll be tossing it especially if it smells/looks bad as well as opening it outside in case it blew up something awful. I plan on opening it later today.
But what to expect ? It could have fermented with yeast (making alcohol and in that tiny amount, I wouldn't care - I'll just use it). It could have bacteria fermented. Again acetic acid isn't an issue. I would use it. Or toss it.
And - Mold - Ok here is where my question comes in. - Does mold produce CO2 thereby pressurizing the can ?

Again, I will open it, I will learn what happened - Just wondering if any of Y'all have learnt this before I open the can so I know what to expect.

Thanks for the link - Take it that you didn't read it yourself ?

That said, your pineapple is probably at a very low risk as botulism is way more likely in protein-rich foods like meat, fish and legumes but only you were there when you opened your can and can make an informed decision.

Again, I'll open it. I'll know what happened. Just wanted to ask if any of Y'all had first hand knowledge. And the can actually just has caramelized sugar type of "syrup" on the outside.

Thanks for the link - Take it that you didn't read it yourself ?
I read/skimmed a couple of the articles.

It confirmed what I learned while briefly working in the grocery industry decades ago: if it's bulging or leaking, throw it away.

very low risk as botulism
It's not just the level of risk, but the cost of incurring that that risk.

Consider weighing that cost against just throwing that can in the garbage.

Probably the only people still able to answer your question had a "good" result with consuming a can of spoiled pineapple. Those that had a "bad" result might not be with us any longer to even answer.

So your statistical gathering of opinion might be a little skewed!

Right I'll toss it - but not before opening it and sniffing and even tasting it. Most likely if it has mold it would also be visible. However that doesn't cover Cl. Bot, or staph or something - however staph cant really survive in anerobic environment. And it will make acetic acid so not a huge deal.
If I am using it, its going in a recipe that it gets boiled for a good bit and a lot of that will be over 100C because its getting boiled in a confection type of dish. I'll open it and see what it looks like. I have a can of mixed fruit to use in its place too so I'll not be pressed to use it.
I'll open it in a couple hours and I'll know.

BTW I used to work in a can factory. Pineapple is notorious for etching the walls of the can regardless of what enamel you're put on the walls. This may just be a case of rust cos it is 11+ yrs past its expiration date. Not saying I'll use it, just saying, it may not be a microbe at all. It may just be a simple chemical reaction.

I'm betting it's fine in terms of getting sick, but also probably absolutely disgusting.

Bingo. The can was essentially corroded, the fruit inside had no taste or texture. Its going in a dish that will need biteable pineapple after its done cooking.
20221023_154445.jpg
20221023_154503.jpg
20221023_154456.jpg

Pineapple is a high-acid food. If it smelled okay, it might not be worth eating but it should be safe to eat.

(y'all know he's messin' with you, right?) 😂

y'all know he's messin' with [us]
The lack of a picture of the original can ("leaked a little and swelled a little") in #13 supports your claim. The 'tit for tat' in #11 also supports your claim.

Some of us commented before this additional information came along. Fortunately, we're the ones willing to say (roughly): cook (brew) safely with fresh ingredients.

And, yes @Jokester, like @Hoppy2bmerry said, "remind me to never eat nor drink anything you’ve made."

PSA: Bulging leaking cans (past their best buy date) of ingredients, if used, are known to have a negative impact on ones health.

Last edited:
That's all well and good that you dont want to eat anything I've made - but you do know I have made 4+ 5 gal batches of mead, given it to people - like ~30 people so far and they all say - its great/too dry for me/too sweet etc etc. No one has dropped dead. I've also hyper fermented beers where I add amylo to beer (yes store bought beer) and turned its alcohol higher up. I've also freeze concentrated beer and my hyper ferment, all in all racking up maybe 100+ gallons easily in just the last 5 yrs. Nothing has happened to me or anyone that received any of those. My very 2nd sentence is - I'm fine tossing it. But I'm interested in what happened. Fine I'm like Grissom of CSI and there's one chick who some what had a fainting spell or something and then said, I'll not be eating anything that's been in this office or something in one of those early episodes. I was gong to toss it, but not before learning what has happened. It didn't cost me anything. The can was already there, the opener was already there, so all it cost me was the 3 mins of effort opening and taking a pic.

I was also making a dish that is an iconic Indian dish for diwali (pineapple kesari). I ended up modding the recipe to use 2 different types of pineapple as well. So needed crushed pineapple added late in the cook and chunks in a compote etc etc. I was never going to slave over it for 4-6 hrs with pineapple or any ingredient that was even remotely questionable, however I am a student of science to the core. I never want to stop learning. Now I know and have proof that a leaking can 10 yrs past expiry will be bad due to rust. Not microbes.
You guys are the best source for biology related information. That's why I posted the question.
How did it turn out - well ... below my expectations but that's not due to the pineapple. I used brand new cans. Its due to me not using enough sugar and by the time I realized that it was too late. They say flour to sugar is anything from .75 to 2 X and if using pineapple go lower or it may be too sweet and inedible. I was ~1.2 by weight. And ended up with it too unsweet. This is not as precise as baking. You can miss by miles and still someone will like it, and get it spot on and someone will still hate it.

Now I know and have proof that a leaking can 10 yrs past expiry will be bad due to rust. Not microbes.
You know one particular swollen can 10 years out-of-date was bad due to rust.

I think it would be bad science to assume ALL swollen cans 10 years out-of-date would be safe to eat.

Well with an inductive structure of argument it really never proves the hypothesis - but after a certain level of testing we can use the results, always aware that its possible the 1,000,001th try could still be different

that was supposed to be funny

You're missing a couple -3-4 points.
1. I know more than I did before I opened the can.
2. It was rust not microbes. And with pineapples I'll bet its always rust. Especially 10 yrs out.
3. It was never about eating what was inside, it was about finding out what was inside.
And most most most important is
#4 - If any clown is selling a bottle of home made "pickled" or "preserved" etc etc things (peppers, salsa, okra etc) and you find the brine isn't full in the bottle and there's air, it will be the same way this can was. The problem is I have bought those and opened them with in weeks only to find that the part above the water line was mushy and while not rotten, it had no crunch. Literally mush. Now I have proof. If it has air that = it loses texture and color and just is mush.

Right I'll toss it - but not before opening it and sniffing and even tasting it. Most likely if it has mold it would also be visible. However that doesn't cover Cl. Bot, or staph or something - however staph cant really survive in anerobic environment. And it will make acetic acid so not a huge deal.
If I am using it, its going in a recipe that it gets boiled for a good bit and a lot of that will be over 100C because its getting boiled in a confection type of dish. I'll open it and see what it looks like. I have a can of mixed fruit to use in its place too so I'll not be pressed to use it.
I'll open it in a couple hours and I'll know.
NO NO NO NO
THROW IT OUT. NOW!!
NO TASTING!!!!!!!!
Botulism is NOT something to risk.
OR CONSIDER BUYING A GRAVESTONE FIRST.

Bro, that was yesterday, the can was rusty, and in the trash now, sniffing and tasting just revealed how it was bad. No botulism. Just rust, no texture, no taste and no color. BTW deep in the middle of the can there was a little bit of pineapple that was actually still pineapple. But I needed 2 cans not 1 tiny spoon.

You're missing a couple -3-4 points.
1. I know more than I did before I opened the can.
2. It was rust not microbes. And with pineapples I'll bet its always rust. Especially 10 yrs out.
3. It was never about eating what was inside, it was about finding out what was inside.
And most most most important is
#4 - If any clown is selling a bottle of home made "pickled" or "preserved" etc etc things (peppers, salsa, okra etc) and you find the brine isn't full in the bottle and there's air, it will be the same way this can was. The problem is I have bought those and opened them with in weeks only to find that the part above the water line was mushy and while not rotten, it had no crunch. Literally mush. Now I have proof. If it has air that = it loses texture and color and just is mush.
As long as you don't have a can of Schroedinger's Pineapple...

Back