sweetness from high mash temp vs low attenuating yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomaso

Reaction score
I'm a fan of relatively sweet IPAs with a good body and will try to brew one tomorrow.

I'll be using West Yorkshire Ale yeast cause it's a low attenuating one and mash at 66C for an OG of 1,070 and an expected FG of 1,019.

I was just wondering about the difference btw getting the higher final gravity either through the low attenuating yeast or a higher mash temp....
What would be the differences in the outcome btw the two or a combination???

The only thing that occurs to me is that the low attenuating yeast might leave more 'real' sweetness while the higher mash temp leaves more body but less sweetness (due to the higgher temp sugars not being really sweet, as I've read).

If anyone wants to comment on the recipe, here it is....

West York IPA:
65% Pale
27% Vienna
8% Crystal 80

Hops: Centennial and Cascade for total IBU/SG ratio of about 0,7 (~56 IBUs)

yeast: West yorkshire
Ferment at 18C ambient temp

Mash at 66C
OG: 1,070
FG: 1,019-20

I just finished a pale ale. Was the first time on my system in almost 2 years (I think). I mashed in too hot and held the mash 156-160 for the first 30+ minutes. The OG was spot on, but the yeastie boys quit around 1.020. I just tasted it as it was going in the keg and for fg reading. Didn't taste too sweet to me. First sip (uncarbed) was a tad sweet, but not overwhelming, the following sips tasted normal. Couldn't get a judge for mouthfeel or body yet.

Hope this adds to the cause.

BTW, I was Pale/Vienna/C10 cascade and centennial. 60 OG, 45 IBU

I just finished a pale ale. Was the first time on my system in almost 2 years (I think). I mashed in too hot and held the mash 156-160 for the first 30+ minutes. The OG was spot on, but the yeastie boys quit around 1.020. I just tasted it as it was going in the keg and for fg reading. Didn't taste too sweet to me. First sip (uncarbed) was a tad sweet, but not overwhelming, the following sips tasted normal. Couldn't get a judge for mouthfeel or body yet.

Hope this adds to the cause.

BTW, I was Pale/Vienna/C10 cascade and centennial. 60 OG, 45 IBU

Your recipe is really similar to mine!
Just that yours was mashed very high while mine was mashed at a medium temp (66,5C) but used low attenuating yeast to arrive at the same FG;

Would be great to be able to taste our beers side by side!
You don't live in Europe/Spain/Barcelona by chance? ;)

Which yeast did you use and did you expect to stop at 1,020?

I ust finished brewing mine and hid it in the closet at 18C ambien temp.

Your recipe is really similar to mine!
Just that yours was mashed very high while mine was mashed at a medium temp (66,5C) but used low attenuating yeast to arrive at the same FG;

Would be great to be able to taste our beers side by side!
You don't live in Europe/Spain/Barcelona by chance? ;)

Which yeast did you use and did you expect to stop at 1,020?

I ust finished brewing mine and hid it in the closet at 18C ambien temp.

I used S04, I did not expect it to stop at 20 points, I rushed it into a cold crash by judging the airlock and krausen.

I fermented at ~18C/64F for a week, crashed for 2 days, secondary for 1 week, crashed for 5 days.

I chose that fermentation schedule to see how much drops out in the secondary, i.e. how much yeast/protein is in suspension.

And yes, by mistake I mashed at 70C/158F.

I live in Washington USA, I do not have a passport, so you would have to fly here for a side by side :) :mug:

I'll add some tasting notes on Sunday and a few more next week.

When will you be drinking yours?

I think you'll be lucky to get a final gravity of 1.019 with this yeast. I think it will be closer to 1.021-1.022.

I don't know how the mash temp vs. yeast choice will make a huge difference in perceived sweetness. Anyway, with a BU:GU ratio of 0.7 it's going to be decidedly bitter no matter where the final gravity turns out exactly with this yeast and recipe.

If you want to guarantee a fuller body with this beer, try mashing for only 35-40 minutes instead of the standard 60 minutes or more. You should still achieve normal efficiency (or might be low by 2-3%, not too bad) but it will definitely reduce fermentability by keeping more of the sugars less fermentable.

Lots of variables you can play with. It's all part of the fun of the craft.

Latest posts

Back