Sweetening options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Are there any ingredients besides lactose that you can add to sweeten up a brew? My raspberry wit might not quite be where I want it to be, and SWMBO is lactose intolerant, so I was hoping I could use something else if possible.

Other than trying artificial sweeteners or sugar-alcohols like sorbitol, mannitol, and xylitol there aren't many choices. Licorice is good in stouts and to many people it's sweet.

Thanks. Lactose it is! She probably won't want to drink it anyway, and really, it won't be that much. Yes, I'm trying to rationalize it.

One way to "add" sweetness is to "subtract" bitterness. So you can lower the amount of hops to alter the balance between the bitter and sweet. You could try decreasing your bittering hops addition (although this would require you to brew another batch).
Another option is to kill your yeast and then you can add any damn sugar you want! :rockin:

Marc.

Back