Sweetened Coconut in the serving keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loball

Reaction score
howdy guys, first time posting a question! usually every topic i think of is already covered lol.

I made an awesome robust porter using one of jamil's recipes for a base. while adding sweetened toasted coconut to both the mash and bk.

beer came out fantastic, except there really wasn't any real noticeable coconut...or so faint you might never notice it, so i decided to do one final addition. (about 36hrs ago) I added 3/4lb of toasted sweet coconut to the serving keg, via a large grain bag and some dental floss to pull it out..

I'm almost regretting adding anything. My sample today was too sweet. Coconut came through up front and dissipated quickly after the first sip or two.

My original beer while strong 8.5% was nice and dry (FG 1.012); now it feels like the beer has more apparent alcohol (just my opinion). I realize now i should have used non sweetened coconut.

ASSUMING most the sugar is probably already dissolved at this point... and wanting to maximize coconut taste :confused:

Should I just leave the coconut in for another week and try and extract as much coconut flavors that I can?

Also, Would it be plausible to allow the beer to warm back up to ~65-68F and let the beer dry itself back out with any remaining yeast in solution?
(i already carbed the keg to ~ 2.2vol)...i would de-gas the keg every day or so as needed to prevent over carbing.

Should I just wait 6 weeks to see if it mellows out? the beer is already ~3weeks old?

Thanks for your advice!
-Loball

Back