Sweet Success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester369

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, here it is, the Dark-n-Scary:

7674-Dark-n-Scary.jpg

The guys I play poker with once a month all agreed that it tastes even better than the local microbrew it is trying to recreate! Only problem is we drank almost all of it! Time to get another batch of it going, I guess!

:rockin:

Gedvondur - here's the recipe...

8 oz Caramel Wheat
2 oz Chocolate
2 oz Black Patent
1 lb Crystal 32: Carastan
5 lbs Amber LME
2 lbs Muntons Wheat extract

1 oz Chinook (60 min)
1 oz Perle (60 min)
1 oz Cascade (20 min)
.5 oz Willamette (2 min)

Heat 6 qts to 160*, steep grain for 45 min
add water to ~ 2.5 gallons, boil, add extract, hop to schedule

Jester369 said:

8 oz Caramel Wheat
2 oz Chocolate
2 oz Black Patent
5 lbs Amber LME

1 oz Chinook (60 min)
1 oz Perle (60 min)
1 oz Cascade (20 min)
.5 oz Willamette (2 min)

Have you put it in the database?

Don't forget, the more you drink the more you can brew.
Gotta love this hobby:mug:

Jester369 said:
Well, here it is, the Dark-n-Scary:

7674-Dark-n-Scary.jpg

The guys I play poker with once a month all agreed that it tastes even better than the local microbrew it is trying to recreate! Only problem is we drank almost all of it! Time to get another batch of it going, I guess!

:rockin:

Hey Jester,

I just have a few questions. What kind of yeast did you use? Do you top off the wort to 5.25 gallons in the fermenter, or ferment out the 2.5? When i plug the ingredients into pro-mash at 2.5 gallons it says the SG would be 1.123!

efreem - topped off to 5 gal. 2.5 would have been a pretty sturdy brew!

yeast was safale us-56

and this stuff is now GONE! It lasted through one night of poker (5 guys) and a St. Paddy party and all 5 gallons have vanished! The crowing moment had to be when a guy at the party who has been brewing AG for years thought my brew was the commercial and the store bought was the homebrew! Heh heh heh :D

Visited the LHBS and have ingredients for a second round. Crap, now I gotta wait another month and a half!

BierMuncher, not sure really how it's classified. I got it from my LHBS - I told him that I liked one of the local micro beers, and that was the recipe he gave me. It simply lists the style as 'Specialty Beer' - the local brew (The Shed) is called 'Shed Mountain Ale'. I am lousy at describing beer - maybe I'll just have to send you some of the next batch! ;)

bnutting, at some point soon I am going to try to do this as all-grain, so full boil for sure then! :D

Jester
Thanks for posting this. I had a crewmember who lives up in Smugglers bring back a couple growlers, we finished all of them this weekend.
I got to get to my lhbs to get the supplies to brew this up. Thanks for the recipe.
Capn

Is the hop schedule right?

I thought maybe the Perle at 60 minutes was supposed to be at 30 minutes, but that still results in 71 IBUs.

Looks great in that glass though!

Nope, although it certainly looks like it was poured with nitrogen from a stout faucet with that creamy head. Still not sure how I managed it! The second batch came out with a much more 'normal' head.

Yep - both the Chinook and Perle go in at 60. Predicted IBUs for this is 76.

Can someone clarify this for me? With a 2.5g boil as inidcated, I come up with a boil gravity of 1.125 giving me an IBU rating of about 41. I only get into the 70s if I assume a full boil. 41 IBUs would put this in line with a American Brown Ale, 70+ would make it a hop bomb...so how are ya'll making this one? Curious as I have all the ingredients ready to make this tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chris

I just brewed it today, with a couple changes to the hop schedule. No Perle or Chinook so I switched it with Pac Gem and Hallertauer. I boiled 2.5 gal and added 2.5 gal to the fermentor. I came up with a og of 1.074. Now I just need to wait to try it out....

I wonder if this would be a good one to let some Pacman yeast munch on...

OMG!!! How did I just now come across this thread?? The Shed Mountain ale is awesome.

Jester - Did you put this brew in the recipe database yet?

If any one else brewed this already what was your original and final gravity? Also how long did it spend in the primary? Secondary? Thanks in advance.

Reviving an old post, but did anyone ever derive an All-grain recipe for this one?? Id love to make it for St. Patties day!

I thought I had one somewhere on my computer but I can't find it.
Just threw some numbers in BeerTools and came up with:

replace 5 lbs amber LME with 6.6 lbs of malt but not sure about proportions: 2 row, Caramel 60 and Munich (what Breiss uses for their amber LME) Maybe fiddle with the numbers until you get 1.035 gravity and 4.28 SRM.
replace 2 lbs wheat LME with 2.7 lbs of malt, 55% wheat malt, 45% barley malt.

Also, have to adjust hop utilization for the full boil.

Hope that helps - it was a fantastic extract brew, and I do plan on converting it to AG at some point soon. I think I will brew a couple of batches back to back, one extract and one AG so I can compare the two and tweak the AG as necessary.

Great idea Jester, Ill look into coming up with an all-grain when I get time and Ill post it here if I get a little more of a solid version. It sure looks like a tasty brew!

8 oz Caramel Wheat
2 oz Chocolate
2 oz Black Patent
5 lbs Amber LME

1 oz Chinook (60 min)
1 oz Perle (60 min)
1 oz Cascade (20 min)
.5 oz Willamette (2 min)

Sorry to ask such a stupid noob question, but when you reference say,
1 oz Cascade (20 min)
Do you mean you put that in after 20 minutes of the 60 minute boil? Or when 20 minutes are left?

Thanks.

Sorry to ask such a stupid noob question, but when you reference say,
1 oz Cascade (20 min)
Do you mean you put that in after 20 minutes of the 60 minute boil? Or when 20 minutes are left?

Thanks.

The 20 minutes is for when there are 20 minutes left in the boil, you're counting towards the end of the boil, so the 2 minute addition is right before you turn it off.
It takes a bit of getting used to I guess

So what's the word on this recipe? It sure sounds tasty, and that picture is amazing ... but has anyone brewed it and can provide a BeerAdvocate-style review? Inquiring minds want to know!

lord knows i love chocolate stout...

gonna have to get another primary to get this one going.

spectacular looking beer!

Well, the LHBS that gave me the extract recipe has it listed as a 'Specialty Ale', so it doesn't really nail down a style. It's sort of a big strong dark ale - some nice complexities and good balance, and a pretty hefty kick. Definitely not a chocolate stout though, Irish1225 ;)

This stuff is really good. Just picked up a growler of the original last week but havent had the chance to do a comparison yet. I think this beer is labeled as a strong ale or English dark ale at the brewery its based off of.

and Jester thanks again for the recipe, now I can have Mountain ale whenever I want!!!!

So what's the word on this recipe? It sure sounds tasty, and that picture is amazing ... but has anyone brewed it and can provide a BeerAdvocate-style review? Inquiring minds want to know!

From what I've read here its a good one!! Sounds like the people who have brewed has have had major success, and thats with extract.

Someone said its based off of the Shed Mountain Ale, which is a beer that can really only be found in Northern Vermont, IIRC

Well, the LHBS that gave me the extract recipe has it listed as a 'Specialty Ale', so it doesn't really nail down a style. It's sort of a big strong dark ale - some nice complexities and good balance, and a pretty hefty kick. Definitely not a chocolate stout though, Irish1225 ;)

it's got chocolate steeping and looks like an irish stout - good enough for me, lol

Alright, it might be a little late for St. Patties day or otherwise, but I finally got a chance to throw the numbers together and came up with an all grain version (or at least a grain bill if anyone wants to give it a shot)

Here we go: (@75% efficiency)
7lbs 2oz -2Row
1lb 11oz- pale wheat
1 lb crystal 32:Carastan (I subbed in Crystal Malt 45)
8 oz- Caramel Wheat
5 oz- Munich
2 oz- Chocolate
2 oz- Black Patent
2 oz- Caramel 60*L

Didn't change the hops additions/ account for boil volume:
1 oz Chinook (60 min)
1 oz Perle (60 min)
1 oz Cascade (20 min)
.5 oz Willamette (2 min)

Ill probably end up doing this one next week, thinking of Notthingham yeast

Alright, it might be a little late for St. Patties day or otherwise, but I finally got a chance to throw the numbers together and came up with an all grain version (or at least a grain bill if anyone wants to give it a shot)

Here we go: (@75% efficiency)
7lbs 2oz -2Row
1lb 11oz- pale wheat
1 lb crystal 32:Carastan (I subbed in Crystal Malt 45)
8 oz- Caramel Wheat
5 oz- Munich
2 oz- Chocolate
2 oz- Black Patent
2 oz- Caramel 60*L

Didn't change the hops additions/ account for boil volume:
1 oz Chinook (60 min)
1 oz Perle (60 min)
1 oz Cascade (20 min)
.5 oz Willamette (2 min)

Ill probably end up doing this one next week, thinking of Notthingham yeast

Anything to report on this?

I'm glad this thread got brought back from the dead, I hadn't seen it. Looks like I have a new brew on deck, though I'll probably replace the chinook with fuggles to lower the IBUs a bit and replace the yeast with WLP005.

Will report in a few weeks!

Wow that looks awesome. Anyone want to buy me the ingredients? I have no money. Congrats on brewing a beer that makes me wish I hadnt spent my money on plane tickets to cancun. :mug:

Back