Sweet Stout Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurry64

Reaction score
I am brewing this Sweet Stout this weekend. It's actually a Coffee Vanilla Stout, but since the flavorings will be added to the secondary, I did not add them to the recipe.

I usually use Brew Calculus to check my recipes. This time, for whatever reason, I also used Brewer's Friend. The differences between the two calculations is tremendous. Please take a look at the two screen shots and tell me what you think is going on here. There are drastic differences between the OG, FG, ABV, SRM and IBU. :confused:

Also, I am brewing a 2.75 gallon batch, but my grain bill (backing out the lactose) is over 7 lbs., which is necessary, according to Beer Calculus, to conform to a Sweet Stout style. Is there something wrong with either, or both, or these calculations?

Thanks

Beer calculus stout.jpg

brewers friend Stout.jpg

Also brewers friend might be using a different equipment setup than what Hopville assumes. and that could be causing issues. I had that problem when i started using beer smith

Anyone can add ingredients on hopville. The ppg and SRM may be different than what you have (the same goes for any calculator.) You need a malt analysis for extract but you probably will never see one for the same malt and lot your using. The English pale malts I've used seemed to be over 80%.

I noticed that most brewers use roasted barley and flaked oats in their sweet stouts. The roasted barley adds a subtle coffee flavor.

Since I am making a coffee vanilla stout and adding cold-brewed coffee to the secondary, I did not use roasted barley. I also replaced the flaked oats with flaked barley.

Would anyone care to predict how my changes/substitution will affect the coffee flavor of this beer before the additions to the secondary?

I was planning to add 12 oz. of cold-brewed coffee. Should I add more since I did not use roasted barley, or do you.think the flaked barley will rectify the situation?

Thanks on advance for your input.

Well generally stouts are characterized by the use of roasted barley. Without it it is really more of a porter. It may taste a bit thin because the toasted barley really adds that characteristic roast flavor that stouts have.

Well, it looks like I'm brewing a coffee vanilla porter instead of a stout. What the heck. It will still be beer. I'll try to make a stout eventually, but I want to move on to the Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale clone next.

Live and learn . . . and drink home brew beer!

Holy crap! I removed the lid from the primary bucket today (day 6) to check the SG. I immediately stuck my head in to get a good wiff. I ,,almost passed out. I can't describe the smell other than to say it was strong.

My eyes, nose and throat burned for about 20 minutes afterward. Is that common? Is it a function of the Burton's Ale yeast, or the grains, or a combination of the two?

By the way the SG was 1.040 so I think this one will be in the primary for quite a while.

Hi, This is Larry from Brewer's Friend. PPG of 10 for Maris Otter doesn't make sense...

That said, if you don't like the system's pre-populated values (which are occasionally off based on seasonal factors, different malting companies, etc), try the 'Add Custom' button in the fermentables box and specify your own PPG / Lovibond value. You may even specify if the ingredient is mashable. The gravity contribution from mashable ingredients is impacted by the efficiency percentage which you can set at the top on the right (below boil time). Hope this helps!

By the way, scurry64, what OS/browser are you using? There is some clipping happening in the hops section we'd like to fix.

Larry, thanks for the tips. They will be helpful in the planning process.

My computer uses Windows XP OS. My browser is Mozilla Firefox (I think it is ver. 11.0).

This beer has been fermenting for 10 days. For the past 4 days the SG has been 1.038.
I am wondering whether the half pound of lactose is causing a "false reading" somehow. I know the lactose won't ferment. What do you think I should expect?
I plan to let this ferment for a full 3 weeks. If there is no change can I try a half teaspoon of amylase?

I added one half teaspoon of amylase formula (alpha, according to my LHBS). Keeping my fingers crossed.

It's working.
On Thursday night, after four consecutve days of 1.038 SG, I sprinkled a rounded 1/2 tsp of amylase formula.
When I got home from work last night, there evidence of active fermentation (airlock activity). It persists this morning.
Now, my concern is that fermentation will go too far. I don't want this beer to feel dry.
Hopefully, it knows when to stop.

Back