Sweet Stout Additives????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan182dunigan

Reaction score
New to brewing, this will be my second batch. Northern Brewer Sweet Stout Kit- extract. Looking to add some vanilla anda little extra chocolate, what is the best way to do this?

Drew Beechum of Experimental Brewing podcast has a good method for doing this (shown below). If you don't have cocoa nibs, you could probably substitute with cocoa powder - someone around here has to have done that before.

"Basic Cacao Nib Tincture

For about 6 oz of extract (usually enough for 10 gallons)

• 6 oz Vodka (something decent, but not too expensive - avoid yer "Popov" vodka!)
  • 3 oz Cacao Nibs (I prefer roasted)
  1. Mix the vodka and cacao nibs in a tight sealing jar like a jelly jar or mason jar. Shake every day, several times, for 4 days.
  2. Strain the nibs out of the dark extract. Discard
  3. Place the extract in the freezer overnight.
  4. In the morning, carefully scrape out the fat cap of cocoa butter and discard. Remove any floaty bits and then store the extract on the shelf for approximately a year.
The Bomb Cacao Nib & Vanilla Tincture

This is my favorite version of the stuff. Vanillan is an important component of chocolate flavor and helps convey "sweetness" without actually being sweet and cloying. It takes a few days longer, but it's worth it.

For 6 ozs

• 6 oz Vodka
  • 1 Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
  • 3 oz Cacao Nibs (roasted is better)
  1. Mix the vodka and vanilla bean (and parts) in a tight sealing jar like a jelly jar or mason jar. Shake every day, several times, for 7 days.
  2. Add the nibs for another 4 days, continue to shake
  3. Strain the nibs and vanilla out of the dark extract. Discard
  4. Place the extract in the freezer overnight.
  5. In the morning, carefully scrape out the fat cap of cocoa butter and discard. Remove any floaty bits and then store the extract on the shelf for approximately a year."
From Maltose Falcons

Good luck!

One thing I did was had my nibs and vanilla beans in vodka for a week then dumped it all in secondary . The vodka really soaked in good. Wonderful taste . It was a choc milk stout.

I too recommend cocoa nibs or lightly roasted, cocoa beans ( which you need to crush coarsely ) soaked in some kind of vodka/whiskey/rum. Vanilla is also a good addition and lactose.

Back