Sweet Rye Stout partial mash idea-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffordsimmons

Reaction score
I want to brew a sweet stout with Rye added into the mix to kick it up a notch as they say. Here is what I was thinking. Critiques? Suggestions? I am not experienced with partial mashes but have done one once.

Use a standard sweet stout recipe (hello brewing for dummies)

6 lbs Pale malt Extract

1.5 lbs Flaked Rye malt (used in the partial mash)

stepping grains-

1 lbs roasted barley
1 lbs crystal Belgian B 221-L
.25 black patent

other stuff

12 oz dark molasses
1 lbs lactose powder

2 oz northern brewer (60 minutes)

1 oz EKG (10 min)

Essex ale yeast

Do you mean flaked rye or rye malt? Flaked rye is not malted, and does not have diastatic power on it's own so you will need a base malt to mash it with. Otherwise I think you'll just get starch haze.

Honestly I was not sure. So if I just wanted to do a partial mash to add the rye flavor etc would I be better using Rye malt?

Honestly I was not sure. So if I just wanted to do a partial mash to add the rye flavor etc would I be better using Rye malt?

Yes, or if you use the flaked you would need a base malt like pale to mash with it. On the few rye beers I've done I've tried both a combo of flaked/malted and all malted. Not sure I can tell a huge difference, but I've heard folks with rye experience say rye malt provides a bit stronger flavor and spice than the flaked.

:mug:

Back