Sweet potato to the rescue of a stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portguy

Reaction score
Ok...so my dubbel got stuck at 1033 as a result of a troubled mash. Temperature at the end of the mash was over 75 C due to a cheap thermometer that has been substituted by a thermapen yesterday. At that temp i blasted all beta amylase but still gave the fermentation a try. Beer went from 1080 to 1033 in two days and stayed the same for 7 days.

I have no enzymes at hand, so i decided to mash a sweet potato at 62-65 C for 30 minutes. Peeled the sweet potato (not caring too much for the alfa amylase just under the peel). Gave it two passes with the food processor and mashed it in water at 5.6 PH.

Strained the solids and dumped the liquid in the fermenter: 1 L of 1004 wort that tested negative on a iodine test.

This was yesterday at 10 PM. I now, 14 hours later, have a nice active fermentation that is just forming a second krausen. It seems to have worked nicely. Will post FG in a few days.
1f60e.png
1f914.png

19 hours after pitching the sweet potato wort here's the result on a 7 day stuck fermentation. 1,022 and fermenting slowing. This is great: original stuck gravity 1033, after 1 L 1004 wort, calculated new gravity at 1031. Almost ,010 drop in 19 hours. I can actually call it a success. This yeast will not attenuate much more than this. I expect another 0,005 at most. Right on the target!

Subject was covered in https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...and-a-lot-of-interesting-possibilites.210086/ and on other threads 'im sure.

I thought i could give it a shot...it is working like a charm!

Latest posts

Back