Sweet Potato conversion Slow Augur Juicer & Sous Vide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
While I've quit brewing for health reasons, I am still using brewing technology in various ways. For example, I am currently doing a starch to sugar conversion in sweet potatoes. This is something I did in a couple of beers, but I lacked the equipment I now have.

My process uses the sous vide, which I originally bought for mashing....... and found it not to work well. Along with that I used my Omega 900 auger type juicer, which is essentially a grinder that operates on the same basic principle as a meat grinder. It has an option for making nut butter, etc, where the juice extraction screen is removed and everything comes out as pulp. The raw sweet potato was run through using this method to create a nice pulp.

I then put the pulp in a zip lock with some water, and added some Convertase AG300 which is left over from brewing, and dropped it in a sous vide water bath at 135F. I will run it at 135 for an hour, then up the temp to 145 for an hour, followed by 155 for an hour.

While I sold most of my brewing paraphernalia and supplies, there are many components (and know how) I still use for other projects. For example I made a wonderful apple cider vinegar using one of my fermenters, and the aeration and temp controls from brewing, as well as using Belle Saison yeast briefly, then souring with kombucha rather than an actual vinegar starter.....all things I used in brewing....including kombucha, which I used to make a kombucha / beer at one time.

I plan to use my auger juicer to grind (not juice) fresh hops next fall for my neighbor to make a fresh hop beer. This should improve the extraction. I got him started brewing, and he's passionate about it. My hops were transplanted to his yard, and he bought much of my equipment when I quit brewing. Note that I started brewing about 1967....

H.W.

Latest posts

Back