Sweet Potato Ale Recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerbrewery1989

Reaction score
So I went to a farmers market the other day and picked up 10oz of sweet potato butter. It's just sweet potato, clove, cinnamon, and sugar. No preservatives. I was thinking of making a simple ale and adding this to the secondary. This is what I came up with.

---3 gallon batch---

4oz Victory Malt
2oz Caramel 40L
2oz Crystal
150-154F for 30min

3.3lb Light LME
1lb Amber DME
1oz Galena (45)
1/4oz Galena (15)

---Yeast---
Bry 97

---Secondary---
10oz Sweet Potato Butter (2 weeks)

I was going to start this sometime this week. Any advice on the recipe? Should I add or omit anything?

Yeesh, I hate clove. It makes me want to puke. If you're inviting me over then leave out the clove. If not, then have at it.

I'M interested to hear how this turns out. My fellow brewer and I made a Sweet Potato Beer a couple of weeks ago (check it out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/yam-god-437857). We debated going whether or not we should ad fall spices such as nutmeg and cinnamon etc. but then we did it with just straight up sweet potato. I want to know what your findings were in putting the sweet potato butter in secondary. We mashed in Sweet Potatoes and it had a huge impact on flavour.

I just read up on you're post, I like the idea of the Fuggles as the bittering, i may switch the Galena. Ill be brewing this tomorrow when I get the LME. Ill definetly post my results. I'm hoping for a intensely flavored, full bodied, dessert beer.

Ill most likely be switching the Bry 97 with Nottingham, as its been cooler lately and I know the Nottingham is better for cooler temps.

So I just added the Sweet Potato Butter to the primary last night, since fermentation had really slowed by now. I had enough headspace so I didn't transfer to a secondary. Fermentation kicked back up, which was expected since there was 135g of sugar in the Butter.

For the recipe I replaced the Bittering hops with Fuggles and used Nottingham as the yeast. Everything else was the same.

Got it bottled the other day, just letting it carb up right now. When I was bottling, it had a very nice aroma to it, you could definitely smell the spices and sweet potato. Very cloudy but that will settle out in the bottle. I'll crack one open when I get home from work and let you know how it tastes. It will still be very green/not very carbed but I can try to give you a flavor profile.

I read the link you posted, sounds really good! From the sound of it, it did very well with alittle age.

Got it bottled the other day, just letting it carb up right now. When I was bottling, it had a very nice aroma to it, you could definitely smell the spices and sweet potato. Very cloudy but that will settle out in the bottle. I'll crack one open when I get home from work and let you know how it tastes. It will still be very green/not very carbed but I can try to give you a flavor profile.

I read the link you posted, sounds really good! From the sound of it, it did very well with alittle age.

So I cracked one open last night, and although it was very green and uncarbed, it was still enjoyable. Very subtle flavors in the way of sweet potato and spices, but very smooth. It has a slightly sour taste to it that I'm guessing is because I pitched the yeast directly to the wort without a starter. This is the first time I've done this (water quality and time issues this time) but from what I've read the yeast will clean it up with time.

Back