Sweet Pepper Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithdj42

Reaction score
So I'll have more bell peppers than I can handle from my garden here soon. I know there are a lot of chile beers out there right now, but I'm having a tough time finding any recipes or conversations about people brewing with sweet peppers. I'm thinking something light so they really shine through.

Any thoughts?

Do you like hot peppers??
If you do... you can make marmalade with green peppers and hot peppers to the level of hotness desired...
I have made a pure habanero marmalade...
It was great but you couldn't eat more than a couple of chili halves...
I am sure that using green peppers would have been great...
Eventually I'll try that...

I do like hot peppers, I have Birds Eye Peppers and Cayenne Peppers growing right now as well. I've tried a few spicy pepper beers, but I'm really interested in making a sweet pepper beer this year. I'm thinking maybe a witbier base with a lime zest, and coriander at flameout. Then roasting half of the bells and keeping the other half fresh and adding them to the secondary. .

I made a dry mead with jalapeños. It ended up with a strange vegetable taste. I'd be afraid of the same from sweet peppers. You'd need to find the right flavor balance. May take some doing.

I like the idea of roasting them maybe even give them a little time in a smoker. Sort of like a sweet version of a chipotle beer. in fact I think it would be tasty in something really light like a blonde ale. But I really like peppers

Were the jalepenos fresh or did you cook them first. I'm wondering if it makes a difference in avoiding the vegetable taste.

I made a jalapeño cream ale twice. The first time I quartered the jalapeños length wise and removed the seeds and placed 1 quarter piece in each bottle and filled. The beer had a nice jalapeño flavor and lots of heat. The problem was the heat varied from bottle to bottle and it was a pain to get the pepper out to reclean the bottle.

The second time I made it I quartered the peppers and put them in a secondary along with some seeds for a couple of weeks then bottled them. They had the same jalapeño flavor and a good amount of heat and the bottles were pretty consistent. The problem I had with this batch was that over say 2-3 months the heat was gone and I just had a pepper flavored beer. It was still good but I missed the heat from it.

Your sweet pepper beer will be fine, I would just use a lighter based beer so the pepper flavor shines.

Back