Sweet Milk Stout mash??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefhead25

Reaction score
My girlfriend loves stouts and has requested I brew a chocolate berry stout of some kind. Thought why not! Here's the grain bill

8 # pale 2 row
1.5# pale chocolate malt
1# flaked oats
4 oz roasted barley
8 oz chocolate malt
1# lactose

Yeast: wlp004
mash at 158
Does this look right, minus the berry of course.I brew using RO water and build my water profile. I"ve found some different thoughts on when I should add the minerals and even some thoughts on steeping my roasted/kilned grains seperate from my mash. I would love to have a water profile I could just make up 10 gallons of and mash just like I normally do but if that isnt the best solution then i would love to know. Thanks again guys for all your help!

That's a lot of chocolate malt! I like pale chocolate, but with that much chocolate malt PLUS roasted barley, you may have a very very roasty stout and not one that will take sweetness and flavors well.

How about some more like Jamil's sweet stout from BCS?

(This is a 6 gallon batch, so you can scale if doing a smaller batch)

10 pounds British pale malt (I used maris otter)
1 pound black barley (black patent)
.75 pound crystal 80L
.5 pound pale chocolate malt
1 pound lactose

Mash at more like 151/152

For my water for stouts, I use tap water- the one good use I have for my tap water! Starting with RO and building up is probably a good way to go, but I really can't help with that very much at all. (The Brew Science forum area probably can help you more with building water).

With that much roast, I'd target IBUs of 25-30 depending on OG,

Back