Sweet Gale/ Bog Myrtle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was planning on using sweet gale in the elderberry imperial pale ale im brewing this tuesday and im wondering.....do i just replace the hops in the recipe with the gale or i use i blend of gale and hops? Or is it up to me altogether? Just trying to find out what the options I have are.

There was a recipe in BYO magazine a few months ago, in an article called "Brew like a Viking" I think, that used sweet gale at the beginning of the boil in place of any bittering hops. It also added juniper berries later in the boil.

Just bottled this batch and it has a very pleasant smell and taste already.....will post back soon when its ready to drink with the influence the Gale had on taste and if it adds anything extra to the buzz.

I used the gale along with my bittering hop addition in an IPA. It didnt have much of a flavor though I did use elderberry in the recipe. The beer definitely has something extra to it when you drink it as far as the buzz goes. Its a very relaxing feeling. I will definitely use it again and would encourage others to as well.

Back