Sweet/Fruity finish with WLP 029

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshal6

Reaction score
Hi back in October I brewed an Oktoberfest style ale with the following grain bill.
Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
36.2 4.25 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
21.3 2.50 lbs. Vienna Malt America 1.035 4
17.0 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
8.5 1.00 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
8.5 1.00 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
4.3 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
4.3 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

The beer was hopped to 25 IBU's and reached FG of 1.009. I used white labs 029 Kolsch yeast. I fermented at 68 degrees which is at the high end of white labs recommended temp range, however they state that this yeast does not need to be that cool to get the clean neutral flavors. I was expecting a malty balanced brew but this ended up being fairly fruity / sweet with little or no malty character. Any ideas, is this somewhat characteristic of this yeast, could? Any help is appreciated

I believe that yeast is supposed to be fruity. I wasn't expecting that either the first time I used it, but that what I've also gotten since then. A Kolsch is supposed to be slightly fruity according to my brother-in-law who lives near Cologne.

I've used this for an Alt and Ed Wort's Octoberfest. I kept the temp around 60 though and the result was clean and malty. I can imagine that the warmer the frutier. I plan on using this in the future when I want to 'cheat' on a lager.

Ok sounds like my expectations were a bit skewed for what the flavor profile would be at my 68 degree fermentation temp. Is this fruitiness a flavor that will disipate over time?
Thanks
Marshal

Back