Sweet Ale aged in oak bourbon barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squad1Guy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is the description of one of my absolute favorite beers from Great Lakes Brewing Co. called Rackhouse Ale. It is a pub exclusive and is only available about 1 week out of the year, if you are lucky!

I recently got to pick the brain of the head brewer and talk about the recipe. The grain bill is extremely simple:
97% pale 2-row
3% roasted barley

OG: 22 P (1.088)
FG: 1.020

For the hops, they use Hallertau, one charge at 60 minutes to 12 IBU. Mash at 156F.

He said he takes the first runnings and puts them onto the kettle which is heated enough to bring it immediately to a boil. He adds small portions at a time to keep the whole thing boiling. (He also said I could boil for an extended period (3 hours) to get the same result). 60 minute boil and then off to the fermenter.

He says they use Wyeast 1028 (which I plan on substituting Windsor).

I ran the numbers through Beersmith and came up with this 1-gallon BIAB recipe:

I plan on doing the primary for a week or so at 64F and then either a secondary with oak and bourbon, or making an "oak tea" and adding that and the bourbon at bottling.

*EDIT* I guess I never really asked a question, so here it is. Why not just do this as a PM? With this very easy grain bill, it almost seems silly to not just steep the roasted barley and just add light DME to achieve the proper OG. Am I over-simplifying this?

Steep the roasted barley while water comes up to temp
Boil for 2 hours
Add hops
Boil 50 minutes
Add LME and Irish moss
Remove from heat source and proceed as usual

Rackhouse.png

Using DME won't get you the same malliard reactions for the way he boiled the first runnings.... If I'm understanding his process correctly

Back