sweet aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liftershims

Reaction score
I have brewed three different beers, they all tasted good but they all have had the same sweet aftertaste to them, i was wondering if it was some of the things i am using, i have used spring water to make them and the dextrose to prime that came with the kits, any help would be great

I'm wondering if you used similar ingredients- maybe same/similar extracts and the same yeast stain? If you post your ingredients (and the OG and FG, too, as BB mentioned), maybe we can pick out the problem.

I would guess that you haven't been doing any thing for your yeast before pitching. I tried pitching White Labs Yeast straight from the vial on a few batches because I heard it would work fine. It worked, but the final gravities were a bit high, and the beers were a bit sweet. After I learned how to do starters my beers all started hitting the target final gravities, with no extra sweetness (other than was intended on high gravity beers.)

If you are doing your own recipes you could also add more hops to balance the sweetness.

Back