Swap Cooler - Mold Forming on Fermenting Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
So, I set up a swamp cooler about 5 days or so ago. This morning i took the shirt off and found mold growing around the rim of the lid and bucket as well as in the little channels on the lid (it is an ale pale). I've cleaned it up as best I can, but what do you recommend when it comes time to bottle? I don't want to run the risk of infecting this batch. Also, if I thoroughly bleach this bucket after this use will it be ok to ferment in again? Lastly, what can I do to prevent the mold from growing? I didn't think about adding sanatizer to the swamp cooler water until yesterday. Would dunking the shirt in water with sanitizer prevent the mold from growing? Just wondering if anyone else experiences this and what I can do to stop it. Thanks.

I wiped it down with paper towels sprayed with bleach as best as I could. Do I run the risk of infecting the batch when opening the lid now?

There is always a risk of infecting the batch by opening the lid. You do what you can to minimize that risk. Wash your hands, sanitize anything that is going to touch the beer, etc.

Back