Swagelok

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
So I was goofing off at the local scrap yard when I ran across 4 1/2 inch SS ball valves. Not just any but the kind you can take apart to clean out really good. Got that and what I thought were SS compression fittings all screwed together for 28 bucks.:ban: :rockin: Got home and took it all apart really excited about the KILLER score I just made and noticed that it wasn't just any compression fittings but Swagelok fittings. Took one down to the local hardware store and they'd never seen anything like it but were impressed with it. Did a few google searches and found that in oregon there is only one place to get swagelok parts and it's in portland. This is some killer stuff, at 100 degrees they are rated at 2200 psi and 100psi at 450 degrees. Don't think I'll be producing quite that much with my magneticly coupled pump, but hey! It's nice to have options! Did a search on Ebay and what I found of swagelok is VERY pricey!!! Does anyone out there know where to get the stuff new/used? I need a few fittings for it to get it to work with my system.:(

My company buys tons of Swagelok. But from our local dealer. As you mentioned you local dealer is in Portland:
Portland Valve & Fitting Co.
815 S.E. Sherman Phone: 503-288-6901
Portland, OR 97214 Fax: 503-288-7919

I think most of it is sold to big companies in big quantities. You can call the Portland dealer or maybe buy right from the Swagelok web page, but I bet you will get sticker shock. Ebay and scrap yards may be your best bet.

It's the compression rings that i'm most interested in... The ones still on the SS pipes are, well, compressed and won't come off. I can cut the pipes and get the compression nut but then I need another ring. I found a page online and it looks like the ball valves themselves would be $85.00 EACH! I got 4 AND some fittings (less the rings) for 28 bucks! I saw some more there, next day off I'm buying them out, cleaning them up and selling them on ebay!:ban: Then I'll have to buy more grain and hops!!!!

I've worked a lot with Swagelok fittings and they're great but pretty expensive. When I built my brewery I ended up using Parker fittings purchased off eBay... ended up being much, much cheaper.

How many do you need? a stick of 10 ferrule sets for 1/2" tube get you by for now. If you want some 1/2" tubing let me know and will clean out the leftover barrel and bring it home for you. I expect to go through 10-15K feet of tubing on this project and there will be plenty of pieces 4' and under that go to recycle at the end.

I have been thinking all day how i'm going to incorperate this into my system and the more I think about it the more I think I am going to go along with my previous plans and simplify my system with quick disconnects. The problem I have with my system is I have a great manifold for the out on my pump but the in has 3 different ins, no manifold, so I get air bubbles in my pump.... that sucks!!! I have been brainstorming on how to use the ferrules and these really SWEET ball valves to make a less bubbly imput to my pump. It would take all 4 of the newly acquired ball valves, some ferrules and more SS tubing. But would all of that really be easier and better than just going with some quick disconnects? Kladue, you going to be at the meeting on Saturday? I know i'll be there. A stick of the ferrules would be great and between 5 and 10 feet would probly get my job done.

Will miss this meeting as freinds are coming by saturday night, should have the false bottom finished and pickup tube built with fittings to fit the weldless setup. If you want to drop by saturday afternoon and pickup the tubing and parts will loan you the tools to cut and bend ss tube for your project.

I sell Swagelok Items for a Swagelok Distributor.

The part numbers given for the front and back ferrule 1/2" are correct.

SS-813-1
SS-814-2

You will require both items for each side of the ball valve in question along with reclaiming the swagelok nut for both sides SS-812-1.

I encourage you to inspect the swagelok threads to make sure they are not damaged and that the silver plating on the id of the nuts is intact.

If either are not in good shape you may have trouble pulling up the desired
1-1/4 turns past finger tight to install the fitting once your tubing is bottom out into the fitting.

I hope that reclaimed valve was not used in and application incapatible with human consumption...yikes.....

By the way sounds like the valve you have is a 60 series ball valve SS-63TS8

That is the best ball valve you can find.

Swagelok is not inexpensive, yet it works better than anything else.

By the way check out Swageloks Plug valve, and Sanitary ball and butterfly valve for more application specific valve options.

Happy brewing

Back