Swaen malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincolnubrewer

Reaction score
Hi,
My lhbs is having a bulk grain sale and having breiss, muton, avavgard, and dinegemans for sale. I heard of all of these companies except for swaen malts. I was thinking of buying a sack 55lb swaen pale ale malt for $47.95. I want to know if anyone has feedback on using this grain. I did go on their website and they are from the Netherlands. Sale is until November 12. Thanks
www.howdoyoubrew.com/fallgrainsale2015.php

Yeah same stuff is the cheapest at my LHBS. Is it any good? They have pilsner and pale swaen malt.

Anybody? This stuff keeps on tempting me with its low prices, but I'm leery of buying a malt nobody seems to have heard of.

I have a batch of Yoopers Fat Sam going with the pale ale malt. Took a gravity sample today, about a week in, down from about 1.060 to 1.012 and tastes good. I may pick up another bag as it is on sale at LHBS again.....this batch cost a total of about $25 - 10lb bag of the pale ale malt, 2lbs of speciality grains, a couple ounces of hops, and liquid yeast....if I reuse a previous yeast I should have no problems creating a batch for $15-20.

Great, will pick some up. Didn't want to risk a batch of beer over $2, but then also no reason to pay an extra few bucks for no reason.

brother and i just split a 55# sack this weekend. does anyone know the nationality of the company? is this a US brand?

The Swaen malt company was recently aquired by the de Groen family who until about 5 or 6 years ago owned Grolsch. They now own a couple breweries in multiple countries, one of which is Anderson Valley in California. Both the family and the company are Dutch. The company has been around for 110 years, but has changed under new ownership.

Been using Swaen pils for a little now. Tastes great. Pretty cheap too. Getting 81% efficiency with it somehow. Almost finished with my sack!

Hi,
My lhbs is having a bulk grain sale and having breiss, muton, avavgard, and dinegemans for sale. I heard of all of these companies except for swaen malts. I was thinking of buying a sack 55lb swaen pale ale malt for $47.95. I want to know if anyone has feedback on using this grain. I did go on their website and they are from the Netherlands. Sale is until November 12. Thanks
www.howdoyoubrew.com/fallgrainsale2015.php

I have used swaen pilsner malt and just ordered another 55 lb sack of it. I have tried that, dingemans, and weyerman. I think I've had the best results with the swaen, and it's a bonus that I can get it cheaper than any other pils malt (briess included). I used this malt at around 93% for a Munich Helles that won Best of Show at a 200 entry beer competition last year, so yeah, I had good results with it.

I'll use it over others when I can get it. Don't hesitate to try it, it's good stuff.

Been using swaen pilsner and various other grains a lot since posting this thread since it's marginally cheaper than Weyermann and much cheaper than Marris Otter and I don't have any other choices. Have never had any issues with it, don't think I could taste the difference of this side by side with Weyermann.

The LHBS had Swaen 3L crystal. I picked up a pound. Make something simple with it.

Repost now that I'm no longer bannedforlife.
bannedforlife said:
I have used swaen pilsner malt and just ordered another 55 lb sack of it. I have tried that, dingemans, and weyerman. I think I've had the best results with the swaen, and it's a bonus that I can get it cheaper than any other pils malt (briess included). I used this malt at around 93% for a Munich Helles that won Best of Show at a 200 entry beer competition last year, so yeah, I had good results with it.

I'll use it over others when I can get it. Don't hesitate to try it, it's good stuff.

Latest posts

Back