Suspicious Growth: Mold or Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfrog5

Reaction score
Extract Pale Ale that got away from me. Traveling so much for work, its been 8 weeks and I haven't had time to deal with it...

SWMBO said it smelled like rotten fruit. The bucket definitely didn't smell good, the sample tasted funky, hard to describe.

I would guess mold, anybody familiar?

IMG_4877.jpg

Thanks
Aaron

Not sure, is it solid or foam? I do see a few bubbles on top and the buckets will smell, but what is funky about the taste? Flat, sour, rotten egg? Does it taste the way it smells,rotten fruity? :(

I'll check the consistency of the growth, and confirm the smell/taste when I get a chance.

What'd'yall think, worth bottling? I recently poured 2 batches down the drain due to bacterial infection (no growth like this) introduced by old/dirty siphon tube. I'd like to avoid that hassle again if possible.

Aaron

Bottle it. Just be sure to leave the funky film in the bucket when you rack it.

I'm going to say bacteria. Not sure I'd bottle it just yet. Cover it for another week and check it again.

I literally just bottled something that looked just like that on sunday! I hadn't gotten around to bottling (made the low gravity batch 2.5 months ago) because of school and was pretty worried when I saw that. It smelled and tasted fine so I racked from beneath it and ended up leaving about a gallon in the primary that I tossed just to be sure I didn't get any of that in the bottles. I'm not too worried about it but I guess I'll find out in a couple weeks if it's good or not.

I literally just bottled something that looked just like that on sunday! I hadn't gotten around to bottling (made the low gravity batch 2.5 months ago) because of school and was pretty worried when I saw that. It smelled and tasted fine so I racked from beneath it and ended up leaving about a gallon in the primary that I tossed just to be sure I didn't get any of that in the bottles. I'm not too worried about it but I guess I'll find out in a couple weeks if it's good or not.

Was it good?

Back