Surly Furious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebiewer

Reaction score
So I finally got my hands on some of this. They actually started shipping it to a place right on the border of Minnesota so I was able to pick up some Surly Furious. I had heard a lot about it from friends that live in the cities and good ole facebook, but hadn't had a chance to check it out.

Here is my take on it.

Review of Surly Furious

What do you guys think? Do you really like it? Just out of curiosity, is there another yeast instead of an "English Ale" yeast that they could choose to use and why? I'm just curious. I know some of you have cloned it!

Thanks

I definitely like it. One of my favorite IPAs, very well balanced. If you have a chance to try Surly's other beers, I'd definitely recommend them. Especially their CynicAle.

I too love it. Make a point to drink it as much as I can when I go back home to MN. I have only had it in the can, hope to find it on tap this summer.

I'm in SE MN so if somebody wanted to work out a little beet trading I'd be up for it. I can get some Surly or jump across the border for some spotted cow etc.... There's a great store that caries all kinds of fun stuff including flying dog, dogfish head etc....

It's in Hudson - I can never think of the name of the place though. When SWMBO and go in there it's never under $70 and it feels like Christmas. Woodmans a good place too?

Yeah they have the best selection I feel in the Lacrosse/Winona area. Its where I would go for all my specialty beer/New Glarus while at WSU that I could not get in Winona.

To the OP, I have done a clone that turned out pretty close, especially for an extract. It was the kit from Midwest. I definitely want to do an all grain version of it. The lhbs did not have the yeast so I used London ale III. As for using a non-English ale yeast, I am sure any west coast yeast would work, but the English ale yeasts help accentuate the malt profile in the beer which I feel sets it apart from just every other IPA out there.

I too love it. Make a point to drink it as much as I can when I go back home to MN. I have only had it in the can, hope to find it on tap this summer.

Go anywhere in Uptown, and chances are they will have it. Every restaurant I've gone to there has had at least Furious, if not others on tap.

OP, if you ever get a chance, take the Surly tour. You have to sign up weeks in advance, but it is worth it. Bring a DD, you'll need one, (you are given tokens for 5x 4oz pours of beer....but you don't actually have to trade tokens for beer....so the possibilities are awesome). The tour is FANTASTIC. 2-3 hours of Omar, the owner, rambling about how he started the brewery from his dad's abrasive business, with his dad chipping in details, then talk about how the beer is made.

It's a really fun tour, and they have some EXCELLENT beers. My favorite is Coffee Bender, but only on tap. Out of the can it tastes pretty stale. Fresh from the keg, at the brewery, it was heaven.

You should be able to find it on tap for sure. I know that it is actually on tap at the new Twins stadium, plus I've found it on tap in Detriot Lakes and Moorhead. So there should be some other places in the area as well!

I am hoping to take a tour this summer. Thanks for the tip on getting registered early!

High hopes now!

I am hoping to take a tour this summer. Thanks for the tip on getting registered early!

High hopes now!

Tours are every Friday, registration opens up 3 weeks before each tour, usually on a THURSDAY night. Keep a close eye on the site...each tour will fill up in about 3 hours....

Back