Supporting only one plant...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
I have a second year cascade plant in CT that is already growing like crazy. Last year I just stuck an 8' pole in the ground and let it do it's thing. This year, I've taken the 3 strongest bines(already 3-4'), trained them up that same pole, and trimmed 11 others back down.

I only hope to do one big wet hop beer this year and don't plan on growing any more than this for now. The plant is up against a back corner of my house where the roof is almost 3 stories high. I'm thinking I have two options... Run one string and figure out a way to attach it from the base of the plant to the roof? Or go 6' up and then run twine horizontally.

So, to go horizontally, I'm thinking a pole similar to what I have now with a string attached to the top and run over to my deck (about 12'). Of course, I'd have to train it manually.

I think I'd rather just let it grow up but I'm not sure how I'd attach the twine to the roof. The house is vinyl siding so I'm not sure where I'd attempt to screw something in.

I suppose that was a lot about nothing. But, hopefully I've explained what I hope do do with what I have to work with. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

I'd say grow em vertically. Can you stick your head out an upper story window and maybe attach an eyebolt or something? Im sure you dont want to damage your house but there must be some way to attach up there. Then just drop down some twine.

I have a ton I found growing wild in my backyard last year. I have to find some way to train them this year. It will be vertical somehow. That is what the pros do!

I'd say grow em vertically. Can you stick your head out an upper story window and maybe attach an eyebolt or something? Im sure you dont want to damage your house but there must be some way to attach up there. Then just drop down some twine.

I have a ton I found growing wild in my backyard last year. I have to find some way to train them this year. It will be vertical somehow. That is what the pros do!

Thanks for the reply. That's what I'm thinking too. I'm just not sure where to try and drill through the siding.

Just run it out the window or use a C clamp and clamp onto a sill or eave, etc.

Latest posts

Back