Support for False bottom, need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammy48

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm almost done fabricating my all grain 3 tier gravity keggle system but I still need to install a false bottom in my mash tun. FYI my MT is bottom draining (hole is in the very bottom center of the keg).

This is the FB I have: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/abt-large-hole-false-bottom-1-2-hole-no-elbow.html

My question is about the support. Do I just place the FB in the bottom of my keg and forget it? I know that lots of people use some sort of stand-off or support so there must be a reason why.

So my specific question is: When should you use a support and what supports are adequate/favorable?

Thanks very much!
Cheers

That's what I have, except it's not raised up in the middle. It fits nicely. You don't want "support" as you want it to sit on the bottom.

I have a wingnut to screw mine down.

Here's a photo:

DSCN0323.jpg

The copper in the middle is the "plug" for the hole in the middle.

Okay cool... so you have a bolt going through the bottom of your keg and through your FB?

Okay cool... so you have a bolt going through the bottom of your keg and through your FB?

Yes. My keg is actually upside down- the top is cut out, and it sits upside down. I hope that makes sense.

To hold the FB in place, I have the bolt and wingnut- otherwise it would move around and lift up.

Yes. My keg is actually upside down- the top is cut out, and it sits upside down. I hope that makes sense.

To hold the FB in place, I have the bolt and wingnut- otherwise it would move around and lift up.

Everytime I see an interesting topic here Yooper's already all over it. I can verify that that setup works great. I just mashed yesterday in my upside-down keg set up exactly like that photo.

Just drill a 1/4" hole through the bottom of the keg and another that lines up through the false bottom. A 1/4-20 stainless screw with some washers/gaskets of some sort and a nut gets installed in the keg (just ends up being a threaded stud...a stainless welder wouldn't have to drill the keg). Then drop your false bottom in and use a stainless wing nut to lock it in for the mash.

I really like how the FB is locked in place. No worries about knocking anything loose while stirring.

edit: just looked at the FB you have. You will have to plug that hole in the center somehow if you want to use this method.

Everytime I see an interesting topic here Yooper's already all over it. I can verify that that setup works great. I just mashed yesterday in my upside-down keg set up exactly like that photo.

Just drill a 1/4" hole through the bottom of the keg and another that lines up through the false bottom. A 1/4-20 stainless screw with some washers/gaskets of some sort and a nut gets installed in the keg (just ends up being a threaded stud...a stainless welder wouldn't have to drill the keg). Then drop your false bottom in and use a stainless wing nut to lock it in for the mash.

I really like how the FB is locked in place. No worries about knocking anything loose while stirring.

edit: just looked at the FB you have. You will have to plug that hole in the center somehow if you want to use this method.

Ha- except you missed my "worst brewday ever in the history of the universe" thread and I almost threw away the entire MLT and false bottom. :D

Seriously, it was not the FB that caused the issue, although what happened is I milled too fine and had a ton of flour that somehow got under the FB. It was like concrete in the elbow of the bottom-draining piping.

But aside from today, this system has been great. It was all lschiavo's idea, and he built it. I also have a tippy-dump (my idea) because it's too heavy for me to lift when full as I'm a weakling.

Ha- except you missed my "worst brewday ever in the history of the universe" thread and I almost threw away the entire MLT and false bottom. :D

Seriously, it was not the FB that caused the issue, although what happened is I milled too fine and had a ton of flour that somehow got under the FB. It was like concrete in the elbow of the bottom-draining piping.

But aside from today, this system has been great. It was all lschiavo's idea, and he built it. I also have a tippy-dump (my idea) because it's too heavy for me to lift when full as I'm a weakling.

I did miss that thread but I am sure nothing was my fault:)

I've used mine approximately once so far with no problems. So I'm no expert. But this is the best way to do it.

I think I am going to put my wingnut/bolt in the center and use that to block the existing hole and then drill my bulkhead hole slightly off-center.

I think I am going to put my wingnut/bolt in the center and use that to block the existing hole and then drill my bulkhead hole slightly off-center.

That should work just as well. The only reason ours are off center is because we are using the keg upside down and the fitting on the keg is in the center.

Post a pic when you get it set up.

Here are the pics... Haven't brewed yet... Hopefully brewing my first batch (ever!) at the end of the month.

image.jpg

Looks good!

One thing you might consider is a backer nut and washer underneath the false bottom. I haven't had any issues with mine but yooper had her false bottom collapse. It's cheap insurance. I'm going to add it to mine before the next brew.

Thanks, yes I have two jammed nuts and a washer right on the other side of the false bottom from my wingnut. A collapse would be terrible!

Back