Supplies in canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph

Reaction score
Does anyone here know of any website based in canada I can order ingredients off of? I would like to avoid paying ridiculous amounts of money to have it cross the border.

I buy from US sites all the time. Just make sure that they will ship to you with USPS. More than half the time I pay nothing when I pick up my package. When I do have to pay it is just the taxes (which you would pay ordering in canada) and a 5$ brokerage fee.

UPS is ridiculous. I have paid brokerage fees of up to $75.

where do you think would be the best place to order wheat dry malt extract? The LHBS around here don't carry that stuff...

Which sites you order from Kenche? Is the shipping a super rip-off or not that bad?

I'm in london Ontario. I called all the brewing supply stores but they don't have any of the stuff I want. My first batch turned out decent but was a complete disaster because of the very small selection of ingredients I had to choose from here. I couldn't even find a place that carries any kind of dried malt extract only the premade kits that were for a larger fermenter than I have.

Anybody know of a decent place to order flasks and stir bars? I'd rather not order from the US and the only local place will only sell in full cases ($200+). If not I know AustinHomebrew carries them and I'll have to suffer the fates of the USPS/Canada Post.

I ordered my 5000 litre flask from Morebeer. Combined with some other stuff it wasn't hellish, just bearable on postage. They were the on deal of the day this week. Maybe wait till it comes around again.

I'm waiting for the soldering iron to heat up so I can build my stir plate so I'm not sure I can wait that long. :D

It actually spins a full 1L mason jar using a screw as the stir bar so I could get away without the flask but the stir bars are a must I think. For one thing the screw is noisy.

My local is the Wine and Beer Factory in Brampton, ON. The guy who owns is it great to talk to, but he is an extract/kit brewer, so he does not fully understand the needs of us all grain guys.

However, he is improving his stock quite a bit, and if more of us Canucks buy from him, we may be able to groom him into quite an acceptable all-grain supplier. He has a good supply of basic grains (like 2 row, marris otter, munich, wheat, crystal, etc), and places and order with Wyeast every few weeks. He has access to one of the biggest grain suppliers in Ontario, so I know he can get the more difficult stuff. He's a real down to earth guy, and everytime I go there, I spend atleast a half an hour shooting the sh*t with him, even if I dropped in for only an ounce of hops.

He has to order grain in 55lb sacks (obviously), and although he doesn't carry everything, with enough prodding, he will bring in a sack for resale (like acid malt...I could use a couple pounds of that!).

Wine and Beer Factory is not the be-all/end-all of homebrew supply, but if you live in the Great White North, and need supplies, might as well give him a call, and see if he's worth doing business with.

Not sure what his shipping rates are like, but I know he works hard. (His full time job with another company, and combined with his store hours, I'm surprised I see him as much as I do!)

His name is Craig, and he seems like a good guy to me. The last time I was in his store, his employee sold me a Wyeast pack that was reserved for Craig's insurance agent (the Czech Pilsner strain). The agent was not happy, and the pack was a dud, so Craig ordered a replacement for me at no charge, and probably faced an increase in his insurance rates because I scored the insurance guy's smack-pack!

the stores website is http://www.wineandbeerfactory.com/

*This is just a lengthy personal account*

Cheers,

Rhino

PS. If you are a GTA brewer, and want to get together for a brew, send me a PM!

Anybody know of a decent place to order flasks and stir bars? I'd rather not order from the US and the only local place will only sell in full cases ($200+). If not I know AustinHomebrew carries them and I'll have to suffer the fates of the USPS/Canada Post.
There is a science supply place called Boreal I got my 1 litre flask and stir bars from there.

I'm stilling shopping around for a good hop/grain supplier in my area ill have to check those links

Cheers
BeerCanuck

There is a science supply place called Boreal I got my 1 litre flask and stir bars from there.

I'm stilling shopping around for a good hop/grain supplier in my area ill have to check those links
Thanks for the link, put in an order for a star and standard stir bars as well as a 2000ML erlenmeyer flask. $53 after shipping, pretty good deal.

For stir bar..ebay.ca is the place to go.

I bought a lot of 5 stir bars for ~ 18$CDN.

Yel

Well after a little research at my LHBS and a phone call I came up with this site United Canadian Malt again.

I asked the price of a 25 kg bag of 2 row unmilled $47.25
I asked about there hop prices as well...(you might want to sit down)
5lbs of Cascade pellets (only sold in 5lb bulk orders) $280
I did some math; 5 * 16 / 280=$3.50 / ounce

wow :confused:
BeerCanuck

Not surprising, considering those are from last crop's slim pickings. Hopefully, it may get down to $2.00/oz bulk this year, although that may be really wishful thinking.

When I was talking with my LHBS he said that my area (Niagara Region) is a good climate to grow hops in. I was hoping to source a local supplier of rhizomes in my area..it didn't pan out this year.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

I was doing a bit of research regarding bulk malted grain in Ontario.
I decided to take some advice and contact Gilbertson and Page in Fergus.
They sent me a price list including some limited bulk Hop prices.

anyone interested in a group buy?

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Did they happen too mention if they were selling grain in smaller package quantities yet? They said they were hoping to start that soon, I'm dying for some dark crystal malt but I can't see buying 25KG of the stuff.

Hi Brad
As far as I am aware they only sell in 25 KG bags ( I didn't ask though)
It would be cool if they sold in smaller quantities eg; 10 lb bags for speciality.

Another option would be a group buy / meet for specialty grains for Ontario HBT'ers.
I just did a check of the local brew pubs in Fergus. It's a bit of a drive from St Catharines to Fergus. I expect to make the trip shortly and a good pint at the end of a trip keeps me motivated. :mug:

It would be cool to have a Ontario HBT chapter brew day as well.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

My local is the Wine and Beer Factory in Brampton, ON. The guy who owns is it great to talk to, but he is an extract/kit brewer, so he does not fully understand the needs of us all grain guys.

the stores website is The Wine and Beer Factory

Just thought I would post a quick note... I went to the Wine & Beer Factory today in hopes of getting some stuff, but the place was closed and the landlord had posted a note about the locks being changed... There was a "For Sale" sign on the window as well, although when I peered through the window it looked like everything was still in the store.

Sad to see if go... the website is still active, but I couldn't get them on the phone (obviously).

Sigh,
Jay
:(

Back