Supplementing Kegerator with Iced Coil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducksdontcrow

Reaction score
First time Poster here, new to kegerators in general.

My question is:
Is it worth/possible/awesome to help the cooling of a keg in a kegerator with a 'jockey box-esque' iced coil prior to the tap?

I'm having an outdoor wedding next month and am worried about heat. I have room above a keg in my kegerator to have a small ice cooler that I could put a coil in. I guess it's actually using the kegerator to help the jockey box by starting with a colder keg. I know I could get away with just a box but I love the look of my vintage kegerator. And no I don't have the budget for an outdoor commercial kegerator...

image.jpg

I'm really confused. The kegerator should keep the keg cold. If it doesn't, then adding in a cooling coil does not appear to be the best solution. Even on a warm summer day a fridge should be able to keep the keg cold.

^ what he said. You should be just fine. If not it may be time to upgrade and put the old girl to rest.

What the others have said, your kego should be enough. On another note if your trying to cool the tower to eliminate the warm spot, and keep your beer cold to the shanks, there are a number of ways to do it. First is to mount a tower cooling fan (basically a small computer fan with a hose) and route the outflow hose into the tower along with the beer lines. I believe there is a company that makes those, although I can't remember who. Another is a passive system. I took copper pipe (IIRC 3/8 Inside diameter, although don't quote me it's been a few years) wide enough for each beer line to fit thru. In my case I needed three. I slide the copper pipe all the way to the shanks in the tower, and cut it off so 18 " hangs down into the kego. The idea is that the copper cools in the kego, insulates and conducts the temperature into the tower all the way to the shanks. For me it seems to work well. When I take the cap off top of the tower the exposed copper near the shanks is really cold, and the first pour is cold, and not foamy. YRMV ,just a few ideas to ponder:D

Cool kegerator though...looks pretty heavy duty to me. All metal?

Thanks for the speedy replys. I became worried about my set up after reading some stuff about the kegerator not getting down to the correct temperature if it's 90+ degrees out. Tower cooling is not a problem as my kegerator has a tower tube built in.
I'll try to keep it in the shade as much as possible, but if you guys say it'll be fine I will now sleep better.

That looks like a nice, old beverage air kegerator! If it is, I've got one, too. She stays out in the garage, and in our hot, humid GA summers she keeps 3 kegs cold with ease. Since you have the tube that cools the tower it'll keep the lines cold and reduce, if not eliminate, the foaming issues caused by hot lines. The only issue I have with that, is that the tower has a ton of condensation on it when it's humid out.

Is the badge on yours OEM? If so, could you snap a pic and post it? Mine was built in the late 60's, and I can't find a pic of that sucker anywhere. Mine doesn't look as good as yours, but I spent 5 weeks refurbishing it from a crappy flat back paint job and grinding/bondoing where rust formed under the vinyl:

image.jpg

Finally someone knows about this kegerator! It's amazing how it doesn't seem to exist on the interwebs... I'm pretty sure it's the original emblem and I'll be home tomorrow to get a picture it.
I just bought if for a song off Craigslist and was told it was painted by California pinstriper Fisk. I'd love to have a triple tap though!

Finally someone knows about this kegerator! It's amazing how it doesn't seem to exist on the interwebs... I'm pretty sure it's the original emblem and I'll be home tomorrow to get a picture it.
I just bought if for a song off Craigslist and was told it was painted by California pinstriper Fisk. I'd love to have a triple tap though!

You do have a friggin' sweet paint job, and I like the fact that you have access to the inside from the top! It that space to store glasses? Mine is wide open when you open the door, and I love this ill' guy for its small foot print, the fact that it was built to last, and can hold (4) ball locks. The model designation of mine is a DD-22, and I have had no luck looking it up on the interwebs, either. I called Bev-Air and was told mid 60's-70's, but they had no way of looking up the 6 digit serial number, as it predates their database records. To date mine, I used the date off the compressor data plate, which shows January 1967. They also had no info on the model number.

I got mine on a deal of CL with (2) ball locks and a keggle; the guy even delivered it for $15! It's nice to know another survivor is still out there and it's getting some use. Thanks for snapping a pic of the emblem; I'd like to look for one to place on the front of mine. If you want me to post any pics of mine; feel free to let me know.

Back