Superstratum All Grain Recipe Kit Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is malt packed mixed or separately? Milled?

If milled, and you have a mill, I'd (re)mill it, and quite finely at that, suitable for your mash system. From what I've read, their crush varies wildly and can be terribly coarse. That translates in poor efficiency.
Especially since there's a pound of oat malt in it. They're skinny needles with a leathery husk, they won't crush on a regular run of the mill gap. Pun intended. Similar for the wheat malt.

If unmilled, mill the oat and wheat malt on a tighter gap, separately from the barley, due to them being much smaller kernels.
Here are the gap sizes I use:
0.035" for barley
0.025" for wheat
0.015" for oat malt

Fermentation-wise, prevent any air/oxygen from touching your beer once fermentation commences, all the way through packaging. Do not use a secondary. Oxygen ingress oxidizes your beer and kills hop sensation.

I don't have a Mill no, but could bring to local brewery supply store and get some assistance. I guess I'll have to take a look at the crush but I may be unclear as to what I'm looking at but this gives me something to review.

I brewed this kit and would recommend running the grains through your mill even if it was ordered milled. The beer kit is a good one and I’ll brew again. This is the kit that convinced me to buy a grain mill. Cheers !!!

Back