super weak/watered down mead - why??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natron008

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just popped open my gallon jug of meade after about 4 months and gave it a little taste. The flavors seem right (nothing odd), but is EXTREMELY weak/watered down tasting.

For a 1 gallon batch I used 3 lbs of clover honey.

It appeared to ferment properly and is now almost completely clear (still bubbling slightly) with a nice little cake on the bottom.

Any ideas why it's so watered down??? I just can't figure out what happened.

Thanks.

honey doesnt have much in the way of mouthfeel or acidity, you may need to experiment with adding acid blend and or tannins, just add a VERY small amount at a time until it seems right. maybe experiment with a small sample before adding anything to the main batch.

what you got there buddy is the way i like mead. i like to slug down a good mead and you can't do that with a 15% mead.

Plus the mead you have is perfect now if you want to put some kind of fruit in there. The fruit flavor will be prominent and the honey taste will make the fruit flavor taste sweet even tho it may be technically dry. 2lbs of whatever you like, maybe even 3#

that will up the ABV for sure and make it taste like the fruit you put it.

that's what i would do if I wanted to up the abv.

don't know if you can get agave juice where you are, but I am going to try that soon. You can buy it in bags at the mexican places in south central phoenix and it's like agave flavored gatorade. The color is clear tho.

Brandon O - Really nailed it on that.
Your not complaining about rocket fuel taste, or it's too sweet, too dry.
Ohh, yea now you have a great mead ready to adapt to your taste. Right now your options are wide open.

Simple answer, add what ever fruit, spices, or stuff you like, let it sit for another month, back sweeten to taste and drink the sucker as fast as you can while still being able to wake the next day and do your thing.

Otherwise, pick your desire and turn that sucker into an award winning, dictionary definition of "gods gift to humanity".

Best of luck,

Thanks guys, that explains it. Unfortunately, I didn't have a hydrometer when I started this project, so I'm not really sure where I stand.

I'll try tossing in some fruit (any other suggestions? I tend to like them clovey/spicy).

Is it possible to add more honey at this point in hopes that it will ferment out even further?

I would not try to add more honey after 4 months, you may end up with a stuck fermentation and end up with a far too sweet mead, or extend out the fermentation for another 6 months.
I think just going with spices, or tannins, etc to adjust the flavor to your taste.

adding fruit is a good idea, martini flavorings work alright too for secondary flavorings with out fermentation... a little goes a real long way because they are so concentrated and they normally are made with other sweeteners then sugar... you just used 3 lbs of honey in one gallon??? nothing else??? mead recipes normally call for some spices or at least a chopped lemon thrown in for acid and nutrients... and very often ask for tea or rasisns for neutrients... just fermenter honey and water would be more of a hooch then a meade... Try a lemon, a couple of cinnimon stickx, and two bags of lipton tea next time... My uncle says thats the real deal for real mead.... I ran across a few recipes which used Oak or maple leave instead of tea, also half maple syrup and half honey for a good maple after taste and a bit of a bitter start... i bet you already knew this though and im talking out my ass:drunk:... oh also try a fuller bodied honey like sumac, tubalo, huckelberry... etc... clover is the lightest of honeys and tends to get scrubbed a bit by fermentation

cheers

...mead recipes normally call for some spices or at least a chopped lemon thrown in for acid and nutrients... just fermenter honey and water would be more of a hooch then a meade...
I really hope this comment is in jest. If not, then it's no wonder new mead makers get confused when they get "advice" like this... :rolleyes:

I really hope this comment is in jest. If not, then it's no wonder new mead makers get confused when they get "advice" like this... :rolleyes:

Perhapes in jest perhapes in seriousness... thats a bit of my charm, always walk around with a smile on your face makes people wonder what youve been up too

Cheers

Well, three gallons of honey to a gallon of water with champagne yeast will still finish out very dry with just a little nutrient and energizer. No need for fruits, raisins, etc.
Most of my meads have no fruits in them, around half is just 3 lbs honey per gallon. I can not keep them in stock once my friends know I have some ready to drink.

yep, I've got 5 gallons of 3# per 1 gallon going for 2 months now.
I'm not adding anything to it, Just the honey flavor alone is still really really good.

I did add a little tea and lemon juice, after everyone's posts I also added a handful of cranberries, a cinnimon stick and a little nutmeg. I left that in for a few days, strained and bottled. I'm gonna put this batch back for a month or two then give it a try. I'll let you guys know...

Just popped this one open after the additives and while a little over-powering, they are perfect to call this a Holiday Mead.

Latest posts

Back